Chapter 1: In The Arms of The Enemy

Start from the beginning

Or something that might negatively reflect on his family. God forbid he be anything other than perfect.

He felt his eyes sting and wiped at them, scolding himself. He was not about to start crying again, out on a roof top, alone, in his fucking night clothes.

His instincts were pulling him towards the border of Ace's territory, inching ever closer to the edge of the roof as his wings stretched.

Was he really doing this?

Wilbur reflected for a minute before deciding that, yes, he was doing this. Because he couldn't bring himself to care anymore. Maybe all of Ace's words were lies, maybe those sweet words and tempting offers were all just some complicated ruse to get the hero to let his guard down. Maybe he's going to find the villain and get a knife in his chest for his troubles.

But...if Ace wanted to hurt him he's had the perfect opportunity to do so multiple times, especially as it concerns the last two weeks. And yet...his nemesis didn't. The shrike avian, for Wilbur's entire time knowing him, had multiple opportunities to hurt or kill the hero. But had not taken any of them.

Wilbur just couldn't figure Ace out. He was still wrestling with how he should feel about the villain.

And it was all just...so exhausting.

He pushed down his emotions, shoving them into that little box he kept them in. He had been trying to be open with himself tonight, but clearly his twin had held different plans. With a sigh, he spread his wings and launched off the building, letting his instincts guide him over his nemesis's territory.

He flew like he was on patrol, staying low over the buildings and avoiding any areas that seemed densely populated. This part of the city was alive at night, bustling casinos, bars, and clubs open to anyone wandering by. If this truly was Ace's territory, it would make sense. The entire section of the city seemed to fit the villain's motif perfectly.

If Wilbur survives this encounter, he contemplates coming back to visit the casinos. His family certainly had the money to burn. He imagines it might be nice to hide his wings under a coat and lose himself to the lights and the music.

The hero eventually finds another roof to land on around the heart of the territory. He's circled around enough that if Ace is around, he would've heard about Wilbur's presence. Judging by how quickly the villain had found him when he had crashed in the area beforehand, Wilbur doubted it would take him long.

As it turns out, he was right.

A few minutes after settling down, he heard another set of wings approaching. He wrapped himself back in his wings for warmth as he listened carefully to the sound of wing beats. Soft sounds, often flapping, no distinctive whistle, definitely Ace.

He didn't turn around when he heard the thud of the villain landing. He didn't want the other to see the tear tracks he knows are on his face right now.

"Hello, songbird," Ace purred, voice accompanied by the sound of his wings folding in.

Wilbur didn't let himself react to the pet name. Ace always used it for him, ever since their first encounter as their Hero and Villain selves. He hated that nickname, he hated it he swore.

There was a pause as the hero felt Ace's eyes pierce his back, probably noting the lack of costume. His nemesis doesn't say anything, but Wilbur could hear the smirk. He could practically see the smug expression.

"Out of costume?" He prompted. "Not worried about your secret identity?"

Wilbur scoffed at that, "What secret identity? Everyone knows who I am, in costume or no. The only reason I wear the damn thing is because it protects me from getting stabbed twenty seven times in the chest."