Chapter 16: Tying up loose ends.

Fergus walked through the Rift Gate along with the Havens. It felt strange being back in Ferelden after being in Haven City for so long. "Home." He finally said. The first thing he was going to do was get to Highever. Hopefully, his Mother and Sister were in Highever and Fergus could easily explain the situation to them. And his wife and son were also there. 

"Welcome to Ferelden!" Fergus announced to Ashelin, Torn, Samos, Keira, Pecker, Onin, and Grutter. "I know it's a little rustic compared to what you all are used to." 

"It reminds me of Sandover Village." Samos commented. "Except we weren't on an island." 

"And there's a castle over there." Pecker added looking at the massive Castle. 

Fergus looked at Highever Castle in the distance. "You seem to be living it good, Fergus." Keira noted. 

"It's got its perks." Fergus admitted. "But we'll observe up close soon enough." 

That was when Onin who was sitting started to move her hands again. Pecker also moved in front of Fergus. 

"You mind telling me what she's saying, Pecker?" Fergus asked. 

"Onin says there is evil inside of that Castle." Pecker translated. 

That took Fergus back. "Evil? That can't be right." He said. 

"Onin says she calls it like she sees it." Pecker replied. Until he got hit by magic by Onin. "Bah! Okay, she doesn't say she calls it like she sees it. But I do." 

Fergus looked now with concern. "Could the Metal Heads have breached this far, already?" He asked. 

"Let's get up there and see what's going on." Ashelin suggested. 

Fergus rushed up to Highever to see what was going on. What was going on was the villages and all the surrounding areas living in isolation and quietness. It was a little more quiet than Fergus would've liked. And as soon as he walked up the paths. He could see some residents walking around and whispering as they looked at him. 

"Excuse me. What happened here?" Fergus asked on peasant. 

"Bann Cousland? You're alive?" The Peasant asked.

"Yes, I'm alive." Fergus answered. "Why wouldn't I be?" 

"We feared the worse... Arl Howe..." The Peasant looked around. "It's not safe."  

Ashelin walked up to Fergus. "Something's not right." She said.

But Fergus had his eyes on the Peasant. The Peasant only responded with fear in his eyes as he looked all around him. "We are being watched." He whispered. "All of us." 

"Did the Metal Heads breach already?" Fergus asked.

"Metal Heads? What are those?" The Peasant asked. "No.... we were attacked by-" But he never got to finish his sentence. Because he was shot in the back with a crossbow bolt. 

"Maker's breath!" Fergus stood back.

"Where did that come from?" Ashelin asked. 

But more Crossbow Bolts came firing down from various places. "AMBUSH!" Ashelin yelled, as she took out her pistol and began firing in multiple directions. 

All the Haven Soldiers had formed a Guard and were now locking their rifles right at the Crossbow men. 

"Take 'em all out!" A Soldier yelled. Their rifles stronger weapons. And all the Crossbow men were dead.  

"That's a nice welcome." Ashelin said sarcastically as she still held her pistol and surveying the area for any more stragglers. 

"This doesn't make any sense. Why would those soldiers attack us?" Fergus asked.