Betrayal | 10

Chapter 10

My crusted eyes opened in my bedroom. I used my nails to wipe the dried skin cells off my eyes to see my lamp on, and Jacob was asleep next to me. I must've been crying, but how did I get home?
I sat up in my bed as the sun shined through my blinds. My movement must've woken up Jake because he sat up too.

"How am I here?" I asked him with a raspy voice.
"I walked you home,' he answered, just as raspy.
"Do you remember what happened last night?" he asked rubbing his eyes.

My mind brought me back to last night.

The red dress.
The girl.
Kaylen's hands on Nolan.
The kiss.

The dizziness.

"Oh my god,' I gasped. My hands grasped my chin.
"What is it?" Jacob pushed.
I said nothing as my breath hitched. He began rubbing my back as I stared across the room.
"I think you had too much to drink. You were really loopy at the end there," he half laughed.
I looked at him with a stone expression, and his smiled faded.
"Cora?" he pushed again.

I took a deep breath, and then they came. The tears started falling, and I couldn't stop them.
"I was drugged,' I cried.
"And, and he was.."
My sobs were uncontrollable. Jacob wrapped his arms around me and pulled me back down in the bed.
"Shhh. Cora, it's okay. Tell me what happened,' his hand rubbed my head as his fingers intertwined with my hair. My sobs caused light hiccups as I struggled to breathe.
"She planned it J-Jake. Her friend...she-" I continued crying.
"Take your time,' he reassured me.

I steadied my breathing, but continued to cry. We counted to three a couple of times like we always did, and I felt my heartbeat slow down.

"She distracted me to put something in my drink and-and... she was all over him when I told him to stay away from her,' I squealed.
"Who, Cora?" he pushed.
"Nolan. I told him he had to stay away and he-he cou-couldn't."

Jacob cupped my face with his hands.
"Why does he have to stay away, Cora?" he pushed more.

I had to tell somebody. I couldn't keep this a secret forever, and I trusted Jacob to keep this between us. Even a secret from Ethan.

"Promise this will stay between us," I huffed. He nodded slowly, and I took a deep breath.

"Kaylen," I started.
"She's who assaulted me that day. She threatened me to stay away from him and she's been all over him for days. He was letting it happen even after I begged him to stay away."

"Does he know what she did?" he asked, infuriated.
"No,' I admitted.

He looked away from me, clenching his jaw.

"Do you need to go to the hospital?" He asked, changing the subject to what was important.
"Please," I replied.

                                      ♥︎♥︎♥︎

Jacob used Daniel's car to drive to the hospital. Daniel never came home, and I'm assuming he crashed at Ethan's. His keys were always on his bedside table, and I knew he carpooled with some guys from the team. Ethan was blowing up Jacob's phone, but he didn't answer.
Mine was blowing up, too. I was afraid to see who it was, so I just turned it off.

We waited in emergency for over an hour until I was admitted. I begged Jacob to not tell anyone how Kaylen was taunting me. So when he spoke to the doctor, he just explained he thinks I was drugged last night yet neither of us know what happened.
He's a good friend.
I lay there in the hospital bed with an oxygen mask over my face. The nurse thought my irregular breathing was from the drug, but I knew it was just my anxiety. I couldn't get the image of them out of my head. It made my brain all fuzzy, and I was very nauseous. The drug was still in my system, but it was almost gone. It wasn't anything life-threatening. It was just enough to keep me out of her way for as long as she needed.
Jacob sat in the chair at the corner of the room, just watching me. I gave him a little thumbs up in reassurance.
I earned a smile.