Chapter 7

Y/n was the first to wake up from her slumber. Not wanting to disturb Howl, she quietly slid out from beneath the covers and headed downstairs to see if Sophie was awake yet. She wasn't that surprised to find the old woman still asleep in her bed and sighed, starting to get to work on breakfast. 

"I know you, I walked with you once upon a dream," Y/N sang, swaying back and forth as she started to work on breakfast. "I know you, that look in your eyes is so familiar a gleam, and I know it's true, that visions are seldom all they seem. But if I know you... I know what you'll do. You'll love me at once, the way you did once upon a dream..." 

Calcifer watched from the fire as the young woman swayed back and forth, singing a song of familiarity. Her skirt flowed around her feet as she danced, her hair joining in the rhythm. She spun while holding a kettle and Calcifer couldn't help but watch as she gracefully twirled around on her bare feet, hardly making a sound, save for the sound of her voice drifting through the halls of the house and enchanting the very air. 

"But if I know you, I know what you'll do. You'll love me at once, the way you did once upon a dream. I know you, I walked with you once upon a dream. I know you, that gleam in your eyes is so familiar a gleam and I know its true, that visions are seldom all they seem. But if I know you... I know what you'll do, you'll love me at once, the way you did once upon a dream."

Markl was coming down the stairs as Y/N sang and sat on one of the steps, peering through the wooden railings and watching as Y/N started work on breakfast. He could have sworn that he saw sparkles dancing off of her body as she moved, but he couldn't be sure, for a second later, he was caught watching and Y/N called him down for a nice warm breakfast of pancakes. 

"Do you mind helping me, Calcifer," Y/N asked.

"Sure." 

Y/N placed the skillet on the fire and started pouring the pancake batter onto the skillet, still humming the song as she worked.

"What song is that Y/N," Markl asked, biting into a piece of toast.

"I'm not sure," Y/N said with a shrug. "It came to me..." she paused, "In a dream..."

Markl yawned, still half asleep. "I like your singing, Y/N."

"Thank you, Markl." Y/N picked up one of the plates and placed the pancake on it before bringing it over to the table. She quickly made a few more and set them aside next to the fire before heading up the stairs with a cup of warm milk to see how Howl was doing.

"Howl," she asked as she knocked on the door. "I'm coming in."

Howl was still lying on his back, exactly where he had been lying when Y/N had left him, though he had been huddled around her like a teddy bear when she woke up. She smiled at his drowsy appearance and walked over to the side of the bed, gently kicking the door shut behind her. She set the cup of milk down on the table and took a seat on the edge of the bed.

Y/N noticed that a few strands of hair were hanging in front of Howl's eye and she sighed, reaching out her hand and brushing them away with the gentleness of a butterfly's kiss. She allowed her hand to slowly drift down Howl's jaw, pulling her hand away when she reached his chin.

"Would you like some warm milk," Y/N asked gently.

Howl just shook his head.

"Okay," Y/N said, getting to her feet. "Well, I'm going to head back downstairs to make sure that the chores get done. I'm sure that Sophie will want to see you, so shall I send her up once she wakes up?"

Howl shook his head and stretched out his hand. "Wait, Y/N... don't leave. Not yet..."

Y/N sat down again and took Howl's hand in hers, rubbing the back of it softly.