Chapter 4

"Y/N!" 

The poor girl nearly jumped out of her seat, once more pricking herself with her needle at the sudden yell from her elderly friend. Sophie was standing by the table, looking absolutely furious for one reason or another, and she glared at Y/N. 

"Yes, Sophie," Y/N asked hesitantly, unsure if she had done something wrong.

"Once Markl and I finish breakfast, can you help me clean this house? I need something to take my anger out on!" 

Y/N found it somewhat odd that Sophie seemed to be yelling everything right now, but she suspected that it had something to do with the curse and the scorch marks that had shown up on the table just minutes before. Maybe it even had something to do with this strange castle that they were now living in.

The girl nodded calmly and got to her feet. "Of course, I'll help you, Sophie. Just let me go and ask Howl where he thinks I should put the mending while we are cleaning." She set down her needle and cut the thread where she had left off. She tucked both the needle and extra thread into her little sewing kit that she always kept in her pocket, and got to her feet, taking the clothes in her arms. She started up the stairs, humming quietly as she did so.

"Howl," she called softly as she made it up to the second floor. It sounded like someone was running around somewhere, but she had no idea where it was coming from. She dared not check the door in case she somehow managed to irritate the wizard who had so kindly turned a blind eye to Sophie and her intruding in his home. Taking care of two girls, one of whom was elderly and therefore needed more in general, was probably the last thing that Howl wanted to worry about.

Thankfully, he seemed to hear her call and stepped out into the hallway, smiling when he saw Y/N standing at one end. He stepped out of the room that Y/N guessed to be his own and shut the door behind him. He had shrugged off the cloak, or jacket, that he was wearing, and it looked like he had taken off his jewellery, but other than that, he was still wearing the same clothes that Y/N had seen him in downstairs.

"Can I help you," he asked as he approached her, his hands on his hips as he quirked a smile at the girl.

"Sophie and I are wanting to get started on cleaning, but I have nowhere to put the mending until we finish." She held it out to show him the small pile that he had given her. "Is there somewhere that I can put this for the time being?"

Howl nodded and motioned for her to follow him. He led her into the room that he had just emerged from and her suspicions were confirmed when she saw what was inside. The walls were covered with charms and odd magical things, making it look somewhat like a flower garden had crept up the walls, and in the centre of it all was a large bed with Howl's jacket lying on top of it. 

"You can just put it on my bed," he said. He allowed her to step past him as he held the door open for her, and watched as she gently lay the mending down on the bed. She quickly retreated from the room, expressed her gratitude, and headed back downstairs. 

Howl watched as she left, his ocean eyes following her hands as she skillfully pinned her hair up, using a single blue ribbon. She wound her hair up in a messy bun and secured it with the ribbon, and just before she left his view, Howl saw her lifting the front of her skirt by the hem and tucking it into her apron's band. He assumed that this was to keep it out of her way while she and Sophie were cleaning. He couldn't help but smile fondly at the young woman and found himself pondering her as he entered the bathroom to start his bath.

Soon the girls were working away, getting every little speck of dirt out as soon as they could. Both had tied fabric around their heads, noses, and mouths to prevent themselves from inhaling the dust, and most likely spiderwebs that were infested with other bugs. Neither of them fancied having bugs making a home in their hair, even if it was only temporary. As they took brooms to the ceiling, both of them discovered that since the dust had been there for so long, it took more than a single swipe to get rid of the filthy substance.