By the time he was ready to leave, it was after midnight. I waved a taxi down and helped him in. After giving his address, which the driver already knew because, small towns, I stood outside the bar.

With my hands in my pockets, I exhaled and watched the frosty cloud disappear. Tonight was cold and a part of me dreaded going back to my lonely apartment. Would I be giving up if I went back home? I couldn't, her parents lived right next door. I'd see her everyday and my heart wasn't ready yet. Bella was still too much of a constant pain. Though, I did miss my best friend most of all.

I whipped around when I heard the slamming of a door. Thalia and the other bartender were locking up, having a quick conversation before going in opposite directions. I watched the bartender go into a car and was off, while Thalia kept on walking.

My eyes followed her until she rounded a corner and disappeared. An uneasy feeling bubbled in my chest which resulted in me jogging after her. I spotted the shorter woman further up and fastened my speed.

"Hey," I breathed out a pant as I stopped beside her.

She only glanced at me from the corner of her eye, her steps not faltering. "Kenzie, was it? Something I can help you with?"

I opened my mouth to correct my name but thought against it. "Mind if I walk you home?"

"Why?"

"I didn't scare you." I said, recalling she wasn't startled when I approached her.

Thalia looked up at me before facing forward again. "You have very loud....feet. I heard you."

I bit my lip, fingers grasping one of my twists that fell over my shoulder. " Do you always walk home alone this late?"

"Nope."

"Someone usually comes to get you?"

"Nope."

I frowned. "How far do you live?"

"Go home Kenzie." She sighed, steps speeding up.

I easily kept up with my longer legs. "I can't."

"Excuse me?" Thalia stopped, her posture confident and eyes unwavering.

I almost cowered with the look I received, almost. "It's late. At night. Something bad might happen. To you. You know, because it's late. At night. Bad people." I mumbled out my reasoning.

The woman clicked her tongue to the roof of her mouth. "I can take care of myself." Then she started walking away.

I followed behind, the protective side of me too stubborn not to. "Pretend I'm not here."

"It's a small town. Nothing bad ever happens here." She groaned. "Go home."

"Bad people are everywhere."

She swiftly turned around, effectively stopping me too. "You can be bad. And right now you're following me."

I pressed my lips together. "I'm good. Promise. Unless you think people who don't like dogs are bad. Then I'm bad. I don't like cats either. My sister's cat scratched me. On my arm. My brother's dog tried to kill me. Aimed for my face. I have good reasons not to like them."

Thalia's brows scrunched together, eyes showing her confusion. "What?"

I smiled. "Sorry. I don't know."

She stepped closer. "Go home."

I walked behind her as she took off again. "Told you I can't. My mom would be really mad if she found out I left a young woman alone at night."

"Is she here?" Not even a glance over her shoulder at me as she continued.

"No. Still. She knows everything."

I heard an annoyed sigh but she said nothing more. I quickly noticed we were heading in the gym's direction.

"Quit walking behind me, you weird human."

I took the offer and fell in step beside her. "Did you grow up here?"

"Nope."

"Moved here recently?"

"Nope."

I sighed, eyes lowered to the figure to my left. "I'm new to town."

"You've mentioned it."

"I don't really know anyone." I went on.

"You know Paul. That's more than enough of a personality to keep anyone busy." She lifted a brow my way.

"You know him?"

"Hard not to. He's like everyone's annoying little brother."

"That's true. I guess what I meant was, I don't know any females." I elaborated. "So..."

"So?"

"I don't know. Care to show me around? Are there any good camping spots?"

"I'm busy. With work." She quickly dismissed.

I stopped pestering her and we walked the remainder of the way in silence. I tugged my leather jacket closer, stuffing my hands into my pockets. Thalia was bundled up in her own jacket, a scarf around her neck. At night it was really cold here, something I both loved and hated.

I stole glances to my left, soaking in the way she walked so gracefully. Brown eyes looked ahead, no set expression on her gentle features. Her makeup wasn't much, but I did see the abundance of it around her eyes. While it made her eyes pop beautifully, I also knew the tiredness behind it.

"I'm almost home. You can go." She softly spoke.

We'd passed the gym by then. "Are you sure?"

"Yup."

"Okay."

I stopped following but didn't turn around. My feet stayed glued as my eyes remained on the retreating form. Not far ahead, I saw her approach a building, entering and disappearing in seconds.

I slapped my palm to my forehead, feeling another wave of embarrassment.

Way to go, Mac.

-E