Chapter 6; A Talking Hat

Hadrian and Wednesday made sure to slip into their school robes long before they left the train, which is more than most of the other first years getting off the train. They passed by compartments with their fellow students, older and younger were scrambling to get changed as quick as they could.

"Firs' year! Firs' years follow me!"

Hadrian gripped Wednesday's hand as the followed the humongous man with a scraggly black beard to  a series of little boats. 

"No more than four to a boat!"

Hadrian and Wednesday sat in a boat by themselves. No one else wanted to sit with them because of Wednesday's off-putting appearance. Hadrian was amazed by the castle overlooking the Great Lake. Wednesday was too, but didn't show it. The boats stopped allowing all the children to get out. They followed the large man inside, where they met a stern looking older woman. 

"Here ye are Professor, got em here safe an sound."

McGonagall - "Thank you Hagrid. I am Professor McGonagall. While at Hogwarts, your house will be like your family. There is Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, and Slytherin. Good deeds and triumphs will earn you house points, while any rule breaking will lose you house points. Now, follow me through the door."

Hadrian and Wednesday shared a look as they walked past the huge double doors. Professor McGonagall walked to a small stool where a ratty brown hat sat. The hat's brim opened like a mouth and started to sing a song. 

"Oh you may not think I'm pretty,  
But don't judge on what you see, 
I'll eat myself if you can find  
A smarter hat than me.

You can keep your bowlers black, 
Your top hats sleek and tall, 
For I'm the Hogwarts Sorting Hat 
And I can cap them all.

There's nothing hidden in your head 
The Sorting Hat can't see, 
So try me on and I will tell you  
Where you ought to be.

You might belong in Gryffindor, 
Where dwell the brave at heart, 
Their daring, nerve, and chivalry 
Set Gryffindors apart; 

You might belong in Hufflepuff, 
Where they are just and loyal, 
Those patient Hufflepuffs are true 
And unafraid of toil; 

Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw, 
if you've a ready mind, 
Where those of wit and learning, 
Will always find their kind; 

Or perhaps in Slytherin 
You'll make your real friends, 
Those cunning folks use any means 
To achieve their ends. 

So put me on! Don't be afraid! 
And don't get in a flap! 
You're in safe hands (though I have none) 
For I'm a Thinking Cap!"

Hadrian giggled at the song quietly as Professor McGonagall picked up the now frozen hat. A scroll was floating next to her. 

McGonagall - "When I call your name, you will come forward and and I will place the hat on your head. Hadrian Addams."

Hadrian jumped slightly and was nudged forward by Wednesday. He walked forward, his hands clenching at the hem of his robe, a nervous habit he picked up while young. He sat on the stool and the hat's brim cover his eyes. 

"Hmm, yes, another Addams, I remember you Mother, Father, and Uncle. Strange lot they were, but some of the best students this school has ever produced. A ready mind, but not too keen with public interaction. Confidence will certainly do you some good. Slytherin!"

Hadrian quickly got off the stool and walked over to the Slytherin table. 

McGonagall - "Wednesday Addams."

Wednesday walked up and sat on the stool. After about five long minutes of waiting, the hat yelled out. 

"Hufflepuff!"