Camp Half Blood: A case Study

Camp Half-Blood is a Greek demigod training facility located on the north shore of Long Island. The camp is directed by the god Dionysus, who the campers call "Mr. D," and Chiron, a who is the activities director. It is also the counterpart of Camp Jupiter, a camp in San Francisco, Cali.

Chiron, the camp's activities director

The camp has magical borders which are enforced by the Golden Fleece, retrieved by Percy Jackson, Tyson, Annabeth Chase , Grover, and Clarisse. Stolen from Polyphemus' island, it was placed on Thalia's pine tree, ensuring that no monster/mortal could get into camp. The Fleece stays on the tree, guarded by the dragon Peleus, its magical powers protecting the camp from monsters and invaders.

The camp is described as being the only safe place for half-bloods, although in HoH series it is revealed that there is a similar camp for Roman demigods - Camp Jupiter, located in San Francisco.

The half-bloods live in cabins (one for each of the twelve Olympians; later, many more cabins were added for minor gods and goddesses after Percy's request in The Last Olympian), and eat at the dining pavilion. There is also an archery field, a sword fighting arena, a climbing wall with lava for training, an amphitheater, stables, an armory, and the Big House.

The camp's cover name is Delphi Strawberry Service, a reference to the name of the Oracle of Delphi.

Address (don't go knocking on their front door. On second thoughts do go.)

The camp is in Montauk, at the end of Long Island. Percy, his mother Sally Jackson (queen), and Grover drive from their cabin at the beach in Montauk. It does not take them very long to get to camp. Besides, the two Jacksons frequently go on vacation to Montauk, where Sally and Poseidon met and hooked up?. However, the Camp is located on the North Shore of Long Island, referenced many times in the books, while Montauk is located on the South Shore. This makes the camp's true location uncertain. Percy says that the part of Long Island beach connecting to the camp is invisible to mortals, except for the ones who can see through the mist. Monsters and mortals can't enter, unless permitted from the inside. The address, 3.141, is believed to have originated from the number pi, which is named after the Greek letter.

HISTORY

The first six students were brought to Chiron to train by Apollo back in Ancient Greece. Their names were Aeneas, who fought for Troy in the Trojan War, the first Jason, who captained the Argo, Achilles, who was dipped in the Styx, Atalanta, who was a renowned Huntress, Asclepius, Apollo's son, who went on to become the immortal god of medicine, and the first Perseus, who would kill Medusa.

According to various camp members, the camp has trained some very famous figures since then, including a few US Presidents like George Washington, son of Athena (no wonder). Camp Half-Blood started out in Ancient Greece at the foot of Mount Pelion, which was Chiron's home. As it grew in size, he had to move to the base of Mount Olympus, and one day Apollo showed up with a horde of satyrs to help demigods find their way to the training camp. Through the ages, Camp Half-Blood has moved with the gods and the core of Western Civilization.

It is a sanctuary for demigods, but before there were magical borders, things were a lot more dangerous. One night in Ancient Greece, a massive monster army stormed the camp, which was almost wiped from history that day. The next morning, the gods granted Camp Half-Blood magical borders that have stayed there ever since.

Five years before Percy arrived at the camp, Thalia Grace, daughter of a-hole or Zeus, came close to dying on the border, willing to sacrifice herself to allow her friends, Annabeth, Luke Castellan and Grover, to reach the safety of the camp. In her dying moments, her father Zeus took pity on her and turned her into a pine tree, sustaining her life-force within it. Her tree's position on the border enabled her spirit to strengthen the borders of the camp. She later returned to human form and joined the Hunters of Artemis. It is also mentioned in Demigod Files that before the camp had magical borders, it was guarded by Festus the bronze dragon, about 15 years before it became defective and disappeared into the woods. It is said that the bronze dragon was an offering of the cabin to their father Hephaestus, and that it protected the camp for approximately a decade before getting lost (and later found my Leo McShizzle).