Hold Me Near

Summary; What if the ending panned out differently?

I was halfway through writing this when I decided I didn't like it. Didn't wanna flush the hard work so here it is :(

Angst + fluff

"I was in Bruno's vision, so what?" Mirabel scoffed, crossing her arms at her Abuela. They had gotten into a heated argument over the cracks forming in the Casita, and for a reason nobody really knew, Alma blamed Mirabel.

Alma growled in anger, clenching her fists at her sides.

"Look, Mirabel! I don't know why you didn't get a gift, but it's not an excuse to hurt this family!" Alma turned around to showcase the entire family watching in dismay.

Mirabel dropped her arms to her side. "You think I'm trying to hurt them?!"

"Heh, I don't know, sure seems like it!"

"Pfft, what do you know?"

"I know that I wanted a useful grandchild who actually had a gift like the rest of her family!"

Silence engulfed the Casita as everyone stared at Alma in disbelief. Mirabel was the center of this anger. Suddenly, the Casita walls started crumbling. Mirabel turned towards the candle in which stood on the window sill, and took a deep breath.

She started running towards the candle, ignoring her mothers' pleas to forget it.

"Casita, get me up there!" Mirabel yelled. One of the top railings fell down and acted as a ladder as Mirabel began to climb. To her left, Camilo was already running that way, sliding through grabble falling from the roof. Before you got to the top of the ladder, Isabela tried to swing to the top, but her magic gave out and she fell, being caught by Casita. Camilo was about to the door when his powers gave out as well, falling to the ground. But also for him, Casita managed to break his fall.

Mirabel reached the top as the mountains began to separate, connecting their village with the outside world. Mirabel ducked under gravel, despite the unstopping pleas from her mother, father, Antonio, and Camilo.

Mirabel reached the window as a loud forced her to look into the woods. Her tio Bruno had a bucket on his head and was sitting on the ground making small groaning noises.

Despite not being tall enough, Mirabel tried her best to reach for the candle, being given a slight lift by Casita. Mirabel reached and reached - trying to reach the candle but no matter what she did she just kept sliding. And she just couldn't get those voices out of her head.

Finally, with what seemed like a miracle in itself, Mirabel finally grabbed the candle. She watched as Bruno's tower came tumbling down and she slid down the roof. Casita caught her fall, and used Its last bit of strength to shield her from the debris of the tower falling down.

...

Mirabel stared into her dusty hands, watching the unlit candle smoke. The door that covered her creaked open one last time, before the magic fully faded away and the doors fell to the ground.

Mirabel looked around her in dismay, sitting in the center of the rubble of her former Casita. Mirabel watched hopelessly as her mother came to her aid, gently taking her chin in her hand.

"Oh, Mira... are you hurt?" her mother asked tenderly. All Mirabel could do was muster a small shake of her head. "Mira... don't, move. I'll be right back!" Julieta commanded, slowly backing away from her youngest before breaking into a sprint.

Mirabel watched in agony as everyone looked around in dismay. Camilo looked her way sadly, then turned to look at the destroyed Casita. Dolores was helping a hopeless Abuela sit down.