19. Burning Violins

June 16th 1912

Philadelphia...

It was a lovely morning, one too tempting for one to stay indoors. Following the religious service and upon our return, Mrs. Hockley and Mrs. Dewitt Bukater joined me in having a cooling cold tea in the garden of my husband's mansion.

As my current condition was not allowing me to accomplish my duties as hostess the way I was entitled to, I was lying in a chaisse-longue. The distance between my guests and I was short enough for me to join their conversation. They spoke matters of no importance, whatsoever. If they did, my sons' playtime a few yards away was more interesting. Nanny Fairs was doing a marvellous job indeed, keeping them as disciplined, yet lively, as instructed!

"Of course, Cal and Rose's wedding will have to be nothing short of extravagant. The most widely discussed topic in all the clubs, both in Philadelphia and Pittsburgh! l I have received letters from all of the prominent families in Pittsburgh, all of them ensuring us upon their presence!"

Such a bore this subject had become! But with the wedding a mere week away, I had to endure all these endless talks on the preparations still being made. Mrs. Hockley would ensure that this particular event be printed in all the newspapers; the entire country would have to talk about the new Hockley wedding. To quote her, the next such marvellous news concerning us would be about the delivery of my fifth child. Such a ridicule of a person she was! Although having scolded me on my fifth child a few months ago, she would now openly discuss my delicate condition. My family's return to Phiadelphia had given me some weeks of peace, which were sadly short-lived, for they arrived later as guests to our mansion, due to the upcoming ceremony.

As for Rose and her mother, they were residing in their own property, enjoying Cal's daily company. Currently however, Mrs. Dewitt Bukater had nothing to do but agree with every of Mrs. Hockley's opinions. I have to admit, they were so engaged in their conversation that at some point, my mother-in-law uttered:

"Cal is extremely happy with this wedding. He is ready to settle down and follow on his eldest brother's footsteps, to run his business and create his own family with his bride, that is!"

"Yes, such an historic event, indeed!" I interrupted. "What man wouldn't be pleased with such a prospect, marrying for the sake of his career to whatever woman seems capable of producing his children! Especially if they are one of the oldest dynasties in America, like the Hockleys!

My mother-in-law stiffened. Only three years ago, I wouldn't have dared utter such words. However, my current state as a mother of four boys had given me more of an importance than Mrs. Hockley. Speaking of whom, she let her glass on the table and excused herself, before she made her way to the house. With a small yet triumphant smile on my lips, I focused once more on my son's playtime, until I noticed Rose and Jacob walking together. Cal was nowhere to be found, good for them!

"I want to make something out of myself. I don't want to live on to someone else's money. I want to show the world that I, too, am capable of achieving something!"

I was walking in the gardens of Amelia and Nathan's mansion with Cal's youngest brother, Jacob. He had arrived in Pittsburgh a few days before Amelia and Nathan returned to Philadelphia and was currently accompanying his parents in visiting us, so that they would attend the wedding. I liked him a lot! He wasn't like his brothers at all! He was very kind, very passionate about life and great to be with. I would spend a few moments with him and I realized the more and more, how many things we had in common. Maybe it was because he's only one year older than me... He was currently taking a break from his studies in Law, in order to be present at my wedding.