"Is he okay?" I whispered, my hope crushing slowly.

"Yes Ms, but he still wants you there with him." The same man answered.

Just as I was about to ask if I would be safe, I got a message from Vito on my phone.

Go with the men, they're telling the truth. -Vito

"Fine, let's go." I said as I followed two of the others to the black jeep across the road.

I felt the presence of the two men behind me, standing a bit to close for my liking.

"If you'd sit in the middle please." The man with the American accent asked.

I did as he asked, and sat down in the middle. Then, the two men who walked in front of me sat at either side of my body, effectively making me look like a toddler with the size difference.

"Which hospital are we going to?" I asked as he took off down the road, further into New Jersey.

"A private hospital, owned by your family's business." The American replied.

"Vito and his sketchy work." I mumbled, but a bit to loud since he added.

"Your other family's business. The one your mother had."

I remember when I was six, I asked my mom what work she did. We always had enough money, allowing us to own a villa in France, just outside of Paris by the beach.

We had a large garden and many cars. I also remember seeing a few men dressed in the same suits as these walking around. But they never went inside the house, and it was rare you actually saw them inside the gates.

When I asked her this, I saw the view from multiple security cameras around our home. There was at least twenty, since it was a spacious villa but not too large.

No where near as big as Gio's house.

When I asked her, she sat me down on her knee as she hugged me from behind.

"Ton père travaille pour le gouvernement américain et je fais un travail spécial. Lorsque vous serez plus âgé, vous aurez également la possibilité de le faire."

Your Dad works for the American government, and I do special work. When you're older, you will have the option to do it too.

When I asked her what she meant, all she would say is, I'll understand when I get older.

But in all the years I saw my mother work, I never got any evidence that she owned a business. Whenever she took me to work with her, it'd be at a large restaurant in Paris, where I got to learn how to cook from the chefs.

My mother always disappeared once she took me to the kitchen seating area, so when the chefs were on break, they'd take me over to a part of the kitchen where no one was working, and teach me how to cook.

If my mother owned one restaurant, and I know it was one since it was the only place she took me, and could afford, how the hell did she get a private hospital?

All the way in New Jersey too?

We had never even been to America, not with her anyway. It was dad who brought us here after she died.