CHAPTER THIRTEEN

It's all wrong.

It's not me. I did not start a war!

My hunter would still be alive if it weren't for that Rathalos

NEXT TIME I SEE A FLYING WYVERN I AM GOING TO KILL IT!

Red ran along the windy snow-choked path of the Frost Islands, snapping angrily at the air, saliva flying from his mouth. His paws kicked up a good amount of snow, and soon he found himself at the cavern.

He skidded to a stop and stared. His nose twitched.

Apparently, the monsters didn't bother to leave the cave.

His stomach growled, and he tilted his head. The wind whistling through the tunnel carried the sharp scent of blood.

Why does the smell of blood have to excite me so? I swear, if I didn't know better, I was born a murderer and a psychopath.

Maybe there really is no hope left for me...

Red's stomach growled again, and in a fit of rage and self-hate, he swung around and fastened his teeth into his belly fur. He yelped but did not let go. He saw spots. His eyes danced. His stomach didn't make any more noise.

Yeah, that's right, shut up. Now let go.

The palamute didn't move.

Let go! Come on! Have you lost your mind? Or at least the control you had over your jaws? LET. GO!

Red managed to open his jaws slightly, but they just relatched. Blood dripped, staining the snow.

Whatever... I guess I do deserve this. Hah. Who am I kidding? Of course, I do. I wasn't swift enough, strong enough to save my master.

Red bit down harder, growling.

And now we've started a global war that nobody will benefit from.

Red scrunched his eyes and collapsed.

WHY WONT SOMEBODY JUST KILL ME SO THAT I DON'T HAVE TO DO IT?! COME ON, MONSTERS! I AM RIGHT HERE! I AM BLEEDING. WHERE ARE YOU?!

The monster stench grew stronger, and he looked up to see a dark shape emerging out of the depths of the cavern.

Red barked weakly to draw its attention.

Am I really doing this? Am I really going to let myself get eaten?

Yes.

Something long, pale and moist snaked out of the cavern and sniffed around. It was followed by the ugliest monster Red had ever seen.

Of course, it has to be the thing that's made entirely out of THROAT!

What are you trying to say, universe?

The Khezu stepped into the moonlight, its veiny rubbery skin pulsating.

The jokes those hunters shared in the Gathering Hall hold true. Up close, it really does look like a-

The Khezu lunged, roaring, and landed nearly on top of Red. The Palamute startled, and instinctively rolled over, flinging himself out of the Flying Wyvern's range of attack.

Body, WHY DO YOU BETRAY ME LIKE THIS!

Wait... That beast is a Flying Wyvern!

...

I hate the universe.

Red stared as the Khezu sniffed around blindly. The Palamute rolled his eyes as he realized the situation, he was now in.