Chapter 13 Alone Together Again✔️

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, well, that is a fight you will lose, Car, because I am never letting her go." He says snaking his arm around my waist and kissing me on top of the head.

"You better not, or I'll kick your ass, you know, like I did at Farley's bar on New Year's Eve..."

"Shut it, Carla. I was drunk off my ass. A feather, or in your case, a snippy little blonde, could have knocked me out." He says half embarrassed, making me laugh again. I will have to remember to question her about this later.

We make our way inside, and I fix us all a sandwich, grabbing a bag of chips out of one of the bags Carla brought with her. We all sit down on the couch and eat, continuing to laugh until well after dark.

If it weren't for the fact that everything is going on and that we are literally in the middle of nowhere hiding out from my psychotic husband, this whole day would have felt like three friends enjoying an evening together, you know, normal.

It gets silent for a minute, all of us seeming to come to this realization together.

"Welp, I am gonna have to be heading back." Carla says slapping her thighs and standing. We all get to our feet.

"BabyRuth, it was a pleasure to finally meet you; I feel like we have been friends forever. Keep Lucas here in line." She says slapping his chest, then pulling me in for a hug.

"Damon, walk a lady to her car, so the big, bad bear doesn't carry me off." She grabs his arm, practically dragging him to the door.

"You, my dear friend, are no damn lady, and shut the hell up about the bear; I was worried, ok?" He jokes as she pulls him along.

I run after her, grabbing her into another quick hug and whispering in her ear. "You know you didn't fail, right?  Liv or yourself, I'm sure there are plenty more people out there that you have helped, but I know you have certainly helped me today." I give her a kiss on the cheek, and she doesn't say anything; she just nods, but I can see the tears that come to her eyes. With that, I turn and walk back inside.

~~~~

~~~~Luke~~~~

~~~~

"What was that about?" I ask as soon as Ruth goes back inside.

"Nothing; I told you we became BFFs; something about getting lost in the woods together bonds you."

"You were lost? ...I knew it!"

"Oh, for fuck's sake, we didn't actually get lost."

"Sure." I say as we walk to her car.

"So thanks for coming up. I think it really helped Ruth. This is the happiest I have seen her since we were kids. As much as it pains me to admit, you are pretty awesome." I say it, rolling my eyes at her and giving her a slap on the back.

"She's gonna be ok, Lucas." She has an intense look on her face, and I nod, believing her.

We stand in silence for a minute and she draws a deep breath. 

"There still haven't been any updates. We have someone tracking down a few potential leads, but he seems to always be a step ahead of us." Our conversation takes a serious note now that we are completely alone.

All day, we have avoided this.

"He can't hide forever, and neither can we. We will find him, and when we do, I will make sure he pays for what he has done to Ruth."