Chapter Sixty-three

Zacznij od początku

We decided to head to the ground floor, where the party was going at full throttle. The open evening sky had grown darker than when I'd arrived and the premises' outdoor security light, lit up the vicinity. There was a long table of assorted pastries, all exhibited in a show glass. Besides the pastries were a bowl of fruit punch and plastic red Solo cups.

Prisca moved to pick up a cupcake from the stack and I held back her arm. She looked up at me with raised brows and narrowed eyes.

I released her arm. "They're laced with weed. Unless you don't mind." Then I grabbed a bottle of Coke from an Ice filled cooler, beside the table, on the floor. "The punch also has all kinds of liquor mixed in it, too"

I had attended one too many of Dee's house parties to know what to steer clear of and what to indulge in.

Mide mirrored my action and we poured our sodas into the plastic cups while Prisca and her friend went ahead to have a go at the punch. As I took a sip out of my cup, my eyes danced around the scenery around us.

The two-story massive edifice stood out in its pastel peach colour. Tall pine trees and small shrub plants could be seen by the walls of the border surrounding the house. CCTV cameras peeked out of all crevices of the house.

They moved over the people around the pool, only a few people were actually in the pool. The others remained on the lawn chairs, had their feet dipped into the water or maintained a safe distance from it. Finally, my eyes landed on a brown smear on the breast pocket of Mide's white dress shirt.

"White is a risky choice in this kind of gathering" I gestured at Mide's chest with my cup. Unless that was the theme.

"Shit" he kissed his teeth and attempted to wipe it off. It made no difference whatsoever.

At that moment, everyone gave their outfit a subtle once over. Prisca had on a deep green playsuit and like me, Mike had on a black T-shirt with random graffiti. The only difference was, he had on a pair of jeans and I had on black Joggers.

"Shey no be Yinka be this? A deep baritone thundered behind me. (Is this not Yinka?)

I turned around and found a large frame drawing nearer but couldn't identify him, due to an overhead light. Soon, the person walked past the security light and I recognized him to be Dee. Short for Desmond. He had gotten bigger than the last time I saw him at my party in the club. Always one for the soft life, from our University days till now.

"Aye bro" I responded with a firm shake and brief shoulder hug. "What's good? You just dey increase on a daily"

"When life dey soft, man gats to chop well na" he replied as he repeated our greeting with Mide. Then moved on to shake hands with Mike and hug Prisca.

"Definitely" I agreed with a nod.

Dee threw this party because why not, and it was packed because his parties trended and were lit. He was a Tech Wiz and made cool stacks from it. Parties were his way of unwinding after working hard.

"What are you guys doing outside now? Come inside jare. Yinka, na you I dey wait since" Dee said, throwing a hand over my shoulder, propelling me forward. (Yinka, it's you I've been waiting for)

"Me?" I said with a hand placed on my chest, trying my best to keep the wariness out of my voice.

"Yes na," he slapped the mid of my back and an involuntary oomph escaped my lips. I fought the urge to rub the throbbing spot but kept a tight smile on my face. "Life of the party"

I released an awkward chuckle as we walked into his house.

The lights in the house were dim, specifically for the purpose of this gathering. In the centre of the living room was a pool table with a golden lit chandelier, illuminating the area. The air reeked of cigarettes and sweaty bodies. Glancing to my left, I found the source of the smoky smell. There was a long couch by the wall and it hosted guys and girls smoking, and before them on a low table were bottles of liquor and shisha.