My head snapped to the right. I saw him just as he saw me, our eyes locking like swords in a deadlock. A tight scowl drew his face, his dark skin glistening in the golden light of the hall. No one moved an inch as he stalked down the rows of seats, eyes still locked on mine, the challenge bright within them. Fear me, they seemed to say, and I noticed how everyone else seemed to recoil as he walked past, as though willing themselves to become part of the tables. I narrowed my eyes. I would do no such thing. 

His face remained in a scowl, but I noted the way his brows moved ever-so slightly upwards. It felt like an eternity passed until he finally reached me. Those around us were practically shaking -- aside from Azure, of course, who was sending him a glare as murderous as mine. 

"Epsilon," he announced, the word a taunt on his tongue. I raised my chin. Epsilon. Once, that word had been used against me as an insult, but not anymore. It was my title. Mine. Me. 

Maybe he saw the resolution in my eyes, for a certain amusement tainted his voice as he announced, "I believe it is time we train. I can't stand having to see this abomination of weakness for much longer."

I clenched my fists, but that only seemed to amuse him more. When I didn't move, he reached out as though to grab my arm, but I was quick to swat him away. An even deeper silence settled over everyone as I stood, staring deep into his eyes. The message was clear; I wasn't going to cower, not like them. 

The male huffed a chuckle despite the fire burning in his gaze. 'You should be afraid,' his eyes seemed to say, but I kept my face indifferent. I had been dragged through hell and back by a man I had trusted. I didn't care if this guy could summon lightening or silence an entire room with just his mere presence alone. I wasn't afraid. I wouldn't give him the satisfaction. 

We stared at each other for what felt like an eternity before the Delta whirled, marching down the rows. I followed, keeping my eyes on the back of his shirt, noting the way his muscles shifted beneath the material. I didn't glance back to Azure, to see the look on her face, but I could only guess she was satisfied with how I'd handled it. 

The silence trailed us as we left the dining hall, even as we made our way down many winding corridors and hallways. I didn't allow my eyes to stray from the figure before me. I stared at his hair. His snow-white strands matched the tiles on the floor, clinging to the sunlight so they gleamed with gold. I noticed how tall he was, much taller than Azriel or Zion or anyone I had yet to meet. 

What seemed like an eternity of walking, we finally happened before two large, ivory doors. Without care for the golden handles, he yanked them down and pushed the door open, the light of day blinding me. 

Before us lay a large patch of grounds. Cobbled paths lined the space, lone benches and picnic tables placed here and there. The moat cornered us in, its surface blue and deep like liquid sapphire. Several dark bridges curved over the waters, giving us passage from these comforting grounds to a spread of uncertain land beyond, fenced in by the treeline that would venture into the forest. 

I continued to follow him as we walked. I took note of the birds swooping along the crystal-blue moat, chirping and singing. Their tunes were very different to the ones back in the Southern Court, and part of that was almost refreshing. Even the grass beneath my feet felt different -- more coarse and sure, unyielding. Very different to the powdery softness of the South.

In silence, we crossed one of the cobbled bridges, its stones unseasonably cold for the middle of summer. If it was still summer. I'd lost track at this point. Though, given the slight chill in the air and the watery wavers of sunlight, I could only guess we were in the beginnings of Autumn.