Stepping Up, Chapter 39

The commotion, as Tibs stepped onto Merchant Row, caught his attention. Two merchants were being pulled away from one another by guards. Tensions in the row had been higher since the fire. Theft was on the rise but he hadn't expected it would reach the point where guards were needed to bring arguments to an end.

He paid attention to anyone close to him. This was the kind of distraction he would take advantage of if he wasn't on business already. He still, somehow, had an extra silver by the time he reached the Shield and Rope.

"I told you I'm not interested!" The voice came from behind the counter, but Darran wasn't visible. Before Tibs called out, the merchant stood and turned to face him.

The glare melted away. "Tibs! How is my favorite rogue?"

Tibs studied the merchant. His many layers of clothing were rumpled, instead of their usual neatness. He also looked tired and distracted.

"What's going on?" Tibs asked.

Darran waved the concern away. "Nothing that isn't normal for a man like me. There's always someone thinking they can squeeze a copper or two out of merchants."

"Two merchants were being dealt with by guards on my way here."

The man's lips drew into a line. "There's been a rash of theft and sabotage ever since the bazaar left."

"I don't know that second word. Do you think those doing this stayed behind?"

"Sabotage is when you break something of someone else in such a way it benefits you." He rested his elbows on the counter. "As for the bazaar. I wouldn't be surprised if some of what's happened since is because this thief or that stayed here." Darran hesitated. "But with the platform, it's more likely that's how they are arriving. So there is no need to worry about this becoming worse with the next caravan."

"When will they be here?" Tibs would have to be on the lookout for thieves among them.

"A few weeks." Darran shrugged. "No more than a month. Once the path is worn by a few caravans, they will be more regular. But no worry, they will come. Dungeon towns have too much money for them to stay away. Good, honest money and—" his expression darkened "—not so honest." The merchant shook himself. "But you didn't come here to listen to me complain. How can I help you?" He pointed to the bracers. "I see the dungeon is giving better armor now."

"Yeah." Tibs ran a hand over it, embarrassed. He hadn't expected Darran to be able to tell. "Sorry."

The merchant laughed. "That's one benefit of being a Runner. You will get gear none of us sell yet. Magical?"

Tibs hesitated, then nodded. It made for a better reason for him to use them over the set Darran sold him, and since the merchant couldn't sense essence, he couldn't tell that they didn't seem magical to anyone who could.

"Good. Take advantage of what the dungeon gives you. Sometimes using it will be worth more than the coins I can give you. Now, what brought you to me on this fine day?"

The merchant was purposely bringing the conversation back to Tibs, and that he could tell showed him Darran was distracted. Normally he could steer conversation anywhere he wanted without bringing attention to that. It had to be the troubles plaguing the row and Tibs considered asking, getting him to admit to what was wrong, but he didn't have skill at controlling conversations.

He turned and showed the broken strap on his chest armor. It had snapped as he put it on for training this morning.

The merchant shook his head. "I have told you to come to have me fix those," he admonished. "Come in the back. I'll replace it and look over the rest." Darran helped him remove the armor. "You know you don't have to wear it when you bring it to me."