What I Left Behind- Chapter 7

Start from the beginning

"Ma'am you need to step aside now," I heard a medic say. I moved away from Ethan but not too far, keeping my hand still entangled in his.

I went over to see Drew while the medics were assessing him. Charlie was sitting beside him comforting him, "He's going to be fine Blake. It's Ethan, he's always fine." Drew said standing up to hug me.

I hugged him so tightly I didn't want to let go, "I know he is." I said believing him. Ethan was tougher than anyone. Whatever this was, he would be fine.

I looked over to where Ethan was to see the medics moving him out of the field. We all walked away with him, "Is he going to be okay?" I asked one of the medics as they pulled Ethan in the back of an ambulance.

"I'm not sure yet. Once he's back at the hospital, we'll know for sure." He said frowning.

I watched as Lauren hopped up in the back of the ambulance with Ethan as the ambulance sped out of the parking lot.  "Come on Blake, I'll drive." Charlie said grabbing my hand leading me to the car.

"Drew, go win this game for us. For Ethan." Charlie shouted over her shoulder.

Drew hesitated. I would have hated to be in his position.  You could see on his face that he was conflicted between the game and his best friend. Poor Drew. He had to go finish the game. He needed it as well as Ethan did. Oh shit! The scouts were here to see Ethan and he's now sitting in the back of an ambulance! They had to understand right? He was knocked unconscious for god's sake! Of course they had to understand.

We jumped into Charlie's car and raced towards the hospital.

The car ride felt like forever. We parked the car and ran towards the main entrance of the hospital, "Hi, Ethan Bradley please." Charlie asked the lady at the front desk.

"He's located in cubicle 7 in the emergency department which is to your left but he's unavailable for visits at the moment. You'll need to wait in the waiting area." She said glaring at me.

I didn't wait for anything else, I speed walked over to the emergency department to see Lauren and Ethan's Dad, Brad, sitting down waiting anxiously.  Lauren came up and hugged me. "The doctor said he'll be out with us as soon as possible. We're not sure what's going on just yet." She said in her soft voice.

She sat back down beside Brad who was on his phone obviously trying to distract himself.

We waited impatiently for a couple hours before the doctor came out making me jump, "Are you Mr. and Mrs. Bradley?" The doctor asked Lauren and Brad. They nodded, "We ran a few scans and tests to see what's going on with your son.  He suffered loss of breathing and a minor concussion from his accident. May I have a word with you and your husband alone ma'am?" He asked having an apologetic smile on his face looking towards Charlie and I.

Lauren nodded eagerly and they were led down the hall to what I assume was where Ethan was. I was extremely jealous. All I wanted was to be near my best friend.  Charlie and I sat back down and waited to what seemed longer than the last time. We saw Drew come through the doors scanning the area. He found Charlie and I and walked over to us, "How is he?" Drew asked running his hands through his hair nervously.

"All we know is that he had a shortening of breath and has a small concussion." I said hugging him softly. "How was the game, you guys finish strong?" I asked him already knowing the answer.

"Not strong but we managed. Coach Moore and the team are waiting to hear news before they come. They wanted to give Lauren and Brad time with Ethan first." He responded sitting besides Charlie.

Charlie was flipping through some magazine trying to pass time while Drew just stared at the TV hanging on the wall. Thankfully, Lauren came down the hall towards us before I lost all my patience.  

We all stood up waiting for her to tell us what was going on, "Ethan is fine. He won't wake up until tomorrow though. The doctors are keeping him overnight and probably tomorrow as well." She said still having worry in her eyes. If everything is fine then why was she acting nervous still?

"Can we go and see him?" I asked anxiously.

"Of course, but only for a little while. The doctors are being bitchy. You know how they are." She said winking at me before she led us down to his room.

I walked in and went straight to sit beside him on the bed, "We'll be outside if you kids need anything." Lauren said leaving the room with Brad.

I grabbed Ethan's hand and kissed it. He looked gorgeous asleep. I couldn't help but tear up at the sight of him. That lump in my throat was ready to explode. He had cords attached to him all over his body. He was breathing through a mask and his heart monitor was beeping slowly, a little too slow.  I felt Drew's hands rub against my shoulders, trying to comfort me. Charlie stood beside him tucked into one side of his body. She was also having a hard time seeing Ethan like this. Who wouldn't?

"Cut this shit out Ethan, you're taking all the attention away from me you know. Seriously man, screw you," Drew said chuckling.

Both Charlie and I giggled. I loved Drew for always making things a little better out of a bad situation.

I laid beside him and stroked his face, "Please open those beautiful eyes of yours. You promised me that you'll always be there for me. You're breaking that promise very early Ethan Bradley." I whispered into his ear so that Charlie and Drew couldn't hear.

We sat there for a while before a nurse came into the room, "I'm sorry but visiting hours were over a while ago. You can come back tomorrow." She said politely.

Charlie got up and kissed Ethan on his cheek before leaving. Drew went over to Ethan, "You go anywhere and I'll kick you're ass." He stated seriously before ruffling his hands in Ethan's hair making it go in all sort of directions.

"Love you Ethan. I'll see you tomorrow." I said giving him a kiss on his forehead before leaving with Drew.

Drew took me home and decided to crash at my house tonight so we made our way to the theater and set up our beds. Charlie had to babysit and the morning so she went home. It felt so empty without Ethan next to me. I was so exhausted but so worried that I couldn't fall asleep.

"Can't sleep, huh?" Drew said from his mattress.

"No." I said.

"Come here." Drew said patting his hand down on the spot beside him on the mattress. I scooted over and laid next to Drew, putting my head against his chest. His body was so different than Ethan's. Drew was muscular mainly on his upper body but Ethan was muscular everywhere.

"Think of something positive Blake. You're going to give yourself an ulcer if you worry so much." He said wrapping his arms around me.

"I'll just think about the fact I'm sleeping with the quarterback of the football team and a future superstar." I said giggling.

"Perfect." He said chuckling. We both laughed. Drew's such an amazing friend. I honestly don't know what I'd do without him right now.

After a half hour, Drew was sound asleep and I decided to finally try to get some sleep in. I closed my eyes and fell asleep minutes later but only woke up every half hour. That had to have been the worst night of sleep I've had since my parent's divorce.

The next chapter wont be posted until next week. Sorry but I've been super busy lately! Thanks for reading!! (: