Irene: [satisfied] Oh, that's wonderful. Let's go with the Filipino meal then.
Greggy: [grateful] Please convey our heartfelt thanks to Lucio.

"Noted, Mr. and Mrs. Araneta."

The unease was palpable for Greggy and Irene on the plane as they constantly checked on their resting daughter. Yara didn't realize she had dozed off while watching a movie until her mom gently woke her up to eat and informed her they would be arriving in a few hours.

Irene: [softly patted Yara] Sweetheart, wake up. The food is here.
Yara: [rubbing her eyes] Yes, Mom. I didn't realize I had already fallen asleep. Did you get some rest too?"

Irene: A little. I have been keeping an eye on you for quite some time.
Yara: [concerned] Mom, you don't have to worry so much. Take a break here. We're all going to be fine. You can stay in my cabin if you want.

Irene: I like that idea. I'll feel at ease knowing I'm right here beside you, my love.
Yara: Aw, my clingy mommy. [kisses her mom on the cheek]

Irene: Sarap naman those sweet kisses from you, little girl [cuddles her child]

Greggy savors his wine, keeping an eye on his wife and daughter while Yara enjoys her meal.

They landed in Cali a few hours later, where someone was waiting to pick them up and take them straight to their residence to rest. Irene sorted their belongings, and Yara assisted her willingly.

Greggy: Honey, what do you feel like having for dinner?
Irene: Maybe let's go for a salad and a chicken platter, how about you, love?

Yara: Anything will do, mama.
Greggy: Alright, I'll order for delivery.

Mama Meldy called Yara's phone, prompting her to set aside her belongings and have a conversation with her grandmother.

Mama Meldy: Yara, apo. Have you arrived in California?
Yara: Yes, Lola! An hour ago.

Mama Meldy: How are you?
Yara: I'm fine, Lola! Please don't worry too much about me.

Mama Meldy: [worried] But of course, I'll be concerned. You almost got abducted, thank the Lord you're safe, apo.
Yara: [assuring her grandma] Aww, your Victoria is strong, Lola Meldy. Take care there. I'll see you soon!

Mama Meldy: [quite relieved] I love you, Victoria.
Yara: I love it when you call me that, Lola. I love you so much!

Mama Meldy: I can't wait to see you back here.
Yara: Me too, Lola! I'll get some brooches for you!

Mama Meldy: [smiling sweetly] Thank you, apo! Alright, rest well for now. Send my regards to your Mom and Dad.
Yara: Alright, Lola! You take care too! [air kisses]

Their dinner delivery arrives, and as they eat, they discuss their plans for groceries tomorrow.

Irene: Should we go to Sprout Market first for organic groceries, or perhaps Target?
Yara: [contemplating] Maybe Sprout first, then Target, Mom. I want to get some milk and cereal.

Greggy: Sure, hija! You can get everything you want.
Yara: Thank you, daddy!

Irene: Alright then, we'll go there tomorrow. Also, your Ninang Small called, she's inviting us to L.A.
Yara: [wondered] Huh? Are they here in the US already?

Irene: They'll be here in three days, love.
Yara: Alright! I can't wait to see Allison. [excited]

Greggy: Look who's excited! I'm happy to see you smile, Yara bear. [plants a kiss on his daughter's cheek]

While they dined, the Marcos siblings texted Irene, inquiring about their niece and expressing their concern.

As Irene entered their bedroom, she couldn't help but feel a sense of relief wash over her. The day had been filled with tension and worry, but now, in the quiet of their room, she and Greggy could finally find solace.

They exchanged a glance, their eyes reflecting the unspoken understanding between them. Without a word, they began to prepare for bed, each movement deliberate yet gentle. Their tired bodies ached from the journey, but there was comfort in knowing they were finally home.

As they settled under the covers, Irene nestled into Greggy's embrace, finding warmth and security in his presence. She closed her eyes, grateful for the peace that enveloped them. In the stillness of the night, they both found the rest they so desperately needed, knowing that tomorrow would bring a new day filled with hope and promise.

~to be continued~