111. "don't know if you get it 'cause I can't express how thankful I am"

Start from the beginning

No, what if it's dangerous?

But it's glowing? Is that not a good thing?

Glowing does not mean it's good, you wanker!

Well, would I not be wasting my time if I just stare at it? Come on... just a little touch?

No!

Yes.

Listen to me, will you? I'm your best option in surviving this war?

Since when? I have been surviving up until now because of those weird thoughts I have. The times when I listen to you, conscious, all I feel is sadness.

Well, I —

Lucia flailed her arms around, as if trying to get rid of the thought in her mind. It was disrupting her decision making, which was whether or not she should touch it.

She really wanted to touch it.

Perhaps that was the mad part of her mind, but the more Lucia stared at it, the more she felt the need to touch it. It was as though a voice was calling out for her, urging her forward to touch it and satisfy the curiosity that was swallowing her up so irritatingly.

Curiosity killed the cat, Lucia. Remember that...

"I should... NO! But... NO!" It was as though the devil and angel on her shoulders were fighting with one another just for her to make the proper decision. One was Bao Bao, and the other was Crookshanks.

Crookshanks was telling her to just touch it. But Bao Bao was telling her to not to.

Needless to say, she was a bit torn.

Keyword: A bit.

She walked back and forth ponderingly, pricking her fingers continuously with her nails. Curiosity killed the cat... Curiosity killed the cat... Curiosity killed the cat...

Curiosity killed the cat!

But satisfaction brought it back.

Damn it!

Lucia wheeled around at the book, immediately making a beeline toward it and let out a huff.

"Please don't kill me, Dad," was all she could utter, before she felt her skin laying contact on the leather-bound journal.

Nothing happened.

"Well that's anti-clima —" But her words were short-lived, as the book glowed lighter and lighter, and before Lucia could even comprehend it, the book opened and was flipped through paged and pages until it stopped.

Lucia blinked.

"That's not what I expected, but good enough," she said, taking a step forward to see what it had led her to as the light began dimming slightly.

To my Melati,

If you read, then that would mean that I failed to live until you reached eighteen year of age, which is pretty depressing now that I think about it as I write this. But that is not the point, the point is that you have been given my journal. It is a pretty important thing to me, became the first thing that I could talk to freely and without fear. To think now it is yours to keep makes me a bit sad...

Needless to say, if you read this, then that will mean that you are desperate and in need of answers. I hope whatever I have ready for you can help ease your mind.

I love you, Melati, my dear Lucia. And I also know that what you are about to see could make you feel either emotions: Disappointment or ecstasy. Either way, I understand.