In three months, I went from being scared and frightened of Theo to sleeping in the same bed. I had been taught to hate his every being – his every fiber – but I could no longer dilute myself into those thoughts.

"Sage," a familiar voice said.

My head reared back in surprise. I could recognize that voice anywhere: it was Memphis.

"Memphis?" I turned to the side. Memphis was sitting at a table, toying around with the silverware in front of him. However, he was not alone. "Wait, Gracie, Ember – what are you guys doing here?"

"We're 'assimilating'," Memphis used air quotes.

I grew conscious of the fact I hadn't brushed my hair in a couple of weeks. I was still wearing the same clothes for about the past week, which were now more of a second skin, and I had just walked a couple of miles here, my hair sticking to my face, cheeks heating. I did not want my friends to see me like this; of course, it was too late, but I quickly scanned the room for an escape route.

"Assimilating?" I asked, biting my bottom lip.

"Trying to, at least," Gracie mumbled, picking at her nails.

If I was in a better state of mind, I would have been relieved to see Gracie being her normal pessimistic self. I would have apologized for her being locked up in the basement beneath this packhouse.

Instead, I shifted my weight and asked, "what?"

"They brought Eva Longshire to help the Borderlanders assimilate into Outside culture," Memphis explained, his eyes softening. "We're really sorry for your loss – I'm really sorry for your loss, Sage. If I would have known–"

"–Memphis, it's not your fault–" I avoided eye contact, staring at my escape – the door that lead to the deck, back where I came from

"I can't believe Si –"

"–I'm fine," I interrupted, the mention of Si making my skin crawl. I desperately changed the subject as I edged closer to the back door, "so, how's the assimilating going?"

"Terrible," Memphis let out a long sigh. "Eva had her baby – I think she named it Rupert – and someone named Heath told us to just wait around until Eva was done recovering."

"Sounds like Heath," I murmured, turning on my heels.

"Where are you going?" Memphis asked.

"To find Heath," was all I said as I left in the direction of Heath's office.

While I never stepped foot in Heath's office before, I knew it was attached to the sitting area where Theo's office was. I never navigated to the office from downstairs before, but I would try my best to navigate my way there.

Once I reached the second floor, I closed my eyes and tried to retrace my steps. The hallways in the packhouse were winding and exhaustive. It took thirty minutes before I recognized the door to the Alpha Wing. From there, I was able to trace my steps to the offices. Stepping into the common area, there was no one around. Straight ahead was Theo's office – a room I was not unfamiliar with.

Luckily for me, Heath's name was bolted on the door to his office. Without thinking, I opened the door. His office was exactly what I would have imagined. It was a chaotic mess of papers everywhere. The top of his desk was not visible from all the different trinkets, cups, and papers that were placed on top of it. His office was a lot more barren than Theo's with just a desk and chair, and nowhere for me to sit.

Heath leaned back in his chair, feet crossed and laying on his desk. He was scrolling on his phone, laughing. He looked up when he heard me enter the room.