chapter 23

One week before the party. That was how close it was and some might think Y/n's losing her mind because she's looking for the perfect dress to wear. You're wrong.

She did that last week, but this week, she's scouring for bits of information about the secret investigation group that Sano Majiro is supposedly leading.

For the past few months, she appeared to be busy with her apprenticeship and just with her life generally but she was slowly piecing things together.

But there was just one thing missing.

She took a deep breath as she lay on the floor of her apartment's living room. "When did it all begin? Think Y/n, think!" She scolded herself as she stared at the ceiling. "Remember each place, each detail... you have to remember!" She closed her eyes.

The convenience store. Akashi Takeomi. Cigarettes. The abandoned market street. A man was tied up. Gunshot. Photo. Broken Camera. Haitani Ran. Haitani Rindou. Dead CEO. Kokonoi Hajime. Bookstore. Books. Coffee. Kakucho Hitto. Phone call. Sano Manjiro. Sanzu Haruchiyo. Mochizuku Kanji. Secret Investigation group. Suspicions. Her mother's Office. Contracts. Files. Outdated files. Hidden news. Haitani Rindou. Skating. Hanging out. Picnic. Sky diving. Coffee shop. Muffins. Sanzu Haruchiyo. Office. Kokonoi Hajime. Strawberry shake. Mango shake. Kakucho Hitto. Her father's office. Underground group. Illegal doing. Arrest. Suspects. The "i" symbol. Tattoo. Invitations. Sano Manjiro. Baked goods. Shrine. Blond guy. Gang. Sunset. Sleeping Sano Majiro.

All of those images, their appearances, objects, and places. It all replayed in her mind. What was she missing?

She looked at the picture frames that hung on her walls. Three words filled her mind. Picture. Camera. Memory. She stood and immediately went to look for her camera's memory card.

There it is. The memory card was still inside the broken camera but the memory card wasn't damaged. Y/n opened her laptop and inserted the memory on it, she clicked on the folder and scoured all the photos inside.

Everything was still there, nothing was off. Every single photo was the same; the abandoned market street, just in different weather.

But near the end of the folder, there was one video; an hour-long video. She remembered taking a random video as she explored further inside the market.

Then next to it were some blurred photos, then a clear shot of a man tied as the bullet went through his head. And a few normal photos of the abandoned market street.

She played the video. There wasn't anything out of place, it looked the same as the daw she had taken that video. There were some blurred parts whenever she moves the camera too fast.

Some noises were also caught in the video, at first, it only sounded like the wind but when she replayed it, it was definitely cries and whines, but because of the loud sound of the rain, it was camouflaged.

The video was near the end. That's when she found the man tied up in the chair. The camera was shaking due to her nervousness at that moment.

There were inaudible noises then a bit of word was clear. "-pens to traitors of Bonten-". That's when the video ended. She assumed it was the time she had clicked the shutter to take a photo.

That time was also when the man was shot. She replayed the last bit and listened to the words clearly. 'This happens to traitors of Bonten'. It was what she heard when she listened carefully.

Bonten.

Now, where did she hear that word before?

She looked at the blurred photos and on the corner, she can make out a figure; a person pointing a gun at the guy tied up in the chair.

Pink hair. Purple Suit.

Why was it familiar?

She closed her eyes again. "Come on Y/n, remember those images" She encouraged herself.

Y/n was really excellent at remembering images. Only images though. She took a deep breath. She tried to remember everything that happened after she took the photo of that gun shooting.

Two men. Lilac eyes. Purple hair.

The image cleared in her memory.

Haitani Rindou and Haitani Ran.

Her eyes shot open. They were the two men she bumped into as she was fleeing the scene of the crime.

Now that pink hair was undoubtedly Sanzu Haruchiyo. He was the one who killed the company's former CEO.

And the reason why she's been surrounded by these men, was because she had witnessed something she shouldn't have.

They're watching her. She's under surveillance to make sure she'll keep her mouth shut. And if she opens her mouth, then...

Y/n can already picture a man pointing a gun at her head and she can already hear the gunshot that will follow.

But why would they stick around this long? weren't they satisfied that she had shut her mouth for almost a year?

Secrets take time to be revealed. She wasn't an investigator, and she doesn't have any solid evidence at first. So considering those facts, she was actually quite fast into unveiling the secret.

But now that she had solved that mystery, another had popped up. Why are they still around her? They could've surely killed her by now.

What were they planning?

One theory came to mind. The party. She had invited them all, she felt so stupid for that now. Maybe they're planning to kill her and her family during the party?

It was all paranoid thoughts but she couldn't let any possibilities go past her. She needed to make sure nothing bad happens at the party.

She grabbed her phone and dialed a number she hadn't called in such a long time.

The other line answered after two rings. "Hello? Y/n? Are you alright?"

"Naoto. I need you"

== dang 🫤 ==