The Story Continues

Start from the beginning

"I'm free?" Bella perked up. "Can I leave the house? I need to go to the bookstore."

Dora laughed, "I thought you might like that news."

"Should I take her an 'I'm sorry you had to see me having a psychotic breakdown in the middle of the library on the floor then have to change me and take care of me all night' present?"

"And what exactly would that be?" Dora asked amused.

"Umm," Bella thought for a moment and started pacing, "I don't think there is a present like that."

"Then I say just show up and tell her how much you missed her and how much you appreciate everything she's done for you."

Bella nodded, "I can do that." She walked over to her closet and pulled off her nightshirt. She quickly shimmied into a pair of black skinny jeans. After putting on a bra, she pulled a white chunky sweater over her mop of unruly curls which she threw up in a top knot. She finished her look with a pair of thigh high heeled boots and her over coat. When she came out she looked at Dora, "good?" but then caught a glimpse of herself in the mirror. She took off her overcoat and sat down quickly to throw on a little bit of makeup. "I look like fucking Betelgeuse." It didn't take much to set her face the way she wanted, "there less dead." She put her coat back on and turned back to Dora, "better?"

"You look great. Go. I'm going to take a nap," she snuggled down into Bella's bed.

"Fine." She pretended to roll her eyes, "just make sure to make the bed before you leave," she walked over and kissed her niece on the forehead. "Thanks for everything Dora. I love you."

"Love you too auntie," she yawned. "Tell Hermione I said hey."

Bella left the Manor and made the all too familiar walk back to The English Rose. It seemed like far too much time had passed since she had last visited.  The closer she got the more aware she was that she had no idea what she was going to say. "Is that?" She squinted and then widened her eyes, "oh no. It's Henry." She gulped. She saw him notice her and then the two of them left the seating area. "Well that's not so reassuring," she shrugged and pulled her coat tighter around her. The store was open as she could clearly see the open sign but she still felt the need to knock even though it was awkward.

Henry opened the door with a big smile on his face that took Bella by surprise. "Hello, Bella. I'm just on my way out," he smiled at her and stepped past her. "It's lovely to see you again and you don't have to knock during business hours. You can just go right on in. Hermione and Squeaks are inside. I think Hermione stepped upstairs for something but go on in," he patted her on the shoulder and walked down the street. She watched him walk down the road a little taken aback by the casual conversation. Bella took a moment to comprehend that Hermione's grandfather acted as if nothing had changed. There was no way she didn't fill Henry in on the details of everything that had transpired yet he treated her like a regular person. She made a mental note to thank him later for that but also for being her first real friend. Hermione was lucky to have someone that supportive in her life.

"Hello?" She called out as she tentatively entered the shop. The first greeter was Squeaks who came out from another room, charging head first into Bella's leg. She began purring and rubbing up against her. "Well," she bent down and scooped up the kitten who immediately started batting at a strand of dark curls that had fallen from her bun, "I've missed you too, ma'am." She kissed the kitten on her forehead and went to put her down when Squeaks meowed loudly in protest, "okay. Sorry to have assumed we were through here," the dark haired woman laughed. "Let's go have a seat then, shall we?" She went over and sat down by the windows, setting the kitten down in her lap. She immediately started circling until she found the exact spot to curl up on. Bella pet her softly, Squeaks immediately relaxed and fell asleep. "Hermione?" She called out, unable to move. This kitten already had her wrapped around her finger. "I'll be right there," she heard the younger woman call from upstairs.  Bella was nervous, her heart was pounding faster than she ever could recall. She wanted Hermione to still like her and there was an inherent need to please the younger woman.