Ch. 17: You're Not Supposed To Be Here, Friend

Manhunt!Dream POV:

"What?!" Puffy yelped.

"You heard me," Tommy scoffed. "Hones'ly, it's like you people don' have any fuckin' common sense. I've got things to do, people to gatekeep, y'know? I'm not jus' gonna let you fuckin' go."

This was extremely bad.

Clay had clearly made a critical error when explaining things to Tommy. Yes, he told the boy the truth because he deserved to know, and Clay also didn't want his head sliced off, but there seemed to be a problem with his judgment. Bringing Tommy in to aid him in his Banquet-crashing had seemed like a good idea at the time, but now that Tommy knew practically everything, it seemed strange to not have seen this coming.

Of course, after everything, Tommy would want to be included.

A storm was on the way. The boy had just interrupted a particularly horrible fight between Clay and Puffy, so no one knew how much he had gleaned from their heated words. Hell, Clay didn't even have any clear ideas on getting home, and his impact on this world had already made itself painstakingly apparent in various consequences.

Tommy was one of those consequences.

Did it have to be now, that the teen arrived to insert himself?

Clay was standing stiffly next to an irritated Puffy, chewing the inside of his cheek. Granted, the captain beside him was more frazzled than angry now, but the point still stood. Tommy looked as smug as ever, uncaring of the mischief he was causing.

Now, Clay hadn't met this world's Quackity just yet, but with the way Tommy had worded his ultimatum and the way that Puffy had reacted, he guessed that it should probably stay that way.

Tommy was just currently jeopardizing Clay's plan to get home by hinting at the introduction of a delay.

"You shouldn' shut me ou'," Tommy shrugged. "I told you, I don' like bein' lied to. It's rude. It's shit. Wha' are you even doin' tha's so top-secret, aye?"

Puffy opened her mouth to say something, but Clay beat her to it in hopes of keeping things civil.

"Look, Tommy, this isn't the best time," Clay took an uncertain step forward. "I'm just trying-"

"To get home, I know, I know," Tommy waved him off. "Then why can' I come along? I'm not exactly abou' to let you sneak around, Dream-two-point-oh, an' we all know wha' we're up to."

"You make it sound like it's something illegal," Puffy said tightly, Clay unable to respond in time.

"'Innit?" Tommy cocked his head. "Helpin' a prisoner an' all tha'? Isn' tha' the definition of illeg-"

"You can't come because I said so," Puffy snapped. "This isn't safe, and we can't keep bringing more people onto this boat."

"Boat? You're goin' ou' to sea?" Tommy raised an eyebrow. "Tha's a shit plan. Nothin's ou' there."

"It's a metaphorical boat!" Puffy was getting exasperated now. "The more people know, the more likely it is that the WRONG people will know."

"Are you callin' me a wrongen? A tory?" Tommy challenged.

This was getting nowhere. Tommy and Puffy wouldn't budge, and Clay was left to either take sides or be the mediator. Taking Puffy's side was obviously not helping Tommy's antics, and taking Tommy's side would do nothing but worsen the situation. Being the mediator sounded like the next best thing, but there was no foreseeable middle ground to try and latch onto.

Tommy wanted to come with them to help get Clay home, and Puffy wouldn't let him because of the risk involved to both the mission and the server itself.