Trial by Tale

TW - Blood, Gruesome, etc?

Sophie's POV :

Terrified, Sophie spun towards Kiko. They had to stay together-

But Kiko was scampering east towards the Blueberry Fields, peeping back to make sure she wasn't following.

Quickly, Sophie took the west trail towards the Blue Brook, where she could hide under its bridge. She had expected the Forest to be pitch-dark and made Hort teach her a fire spell during breakfast. But tonight the trees fluoresced with an ice-blue, black-lit sheen, glazing the Forest in an arctic glow. Though the effect was ominous, she breathed relief. A flaming torch would have made her an easy target.

As she waded into the Fernfield, Sophie felt electric-blue fronds kiss her neck. Her body relaxed. She'd imagine a non-stop siege of horrors. But the Forest was quieter than she'd ever seen it. No shaking animals. No ominous owls. Just her in an ethereal meadow, wind strumming blades like harp strings.

As she waded through head-high ferns, she thought of Agatha. Did a teacher catch her brewing a plan? Did Hester intercept her?

Sophie felt pinpricks of sweat.

Or is Agatha afraid to help me?

She would be fine on her own. Agatha would have Y/N and Sophie would have Tedros.

For if she won with Tedros, no one would deny her switching schools. She could rule Good as their beneficent Captain. She could have her prince for Ever After and the life of a queen. Sophie gritted her teeth. If only she would win this Trial alone, then she wouldn't have to keep it!

Sophie stopped in her tracks. But I can! Look at me! I'm doing just fi-

A scream echoed. White sparks sprayed into the sky. Kiko had surrendered.

Sophie's legs jellied. How long would it take for Kiki's attacker to find her? What was she thinking? She couldn't last here! She yanked the kerchief from her pocket, unleashed vermillion red, and-

CRACK! Something dropped from above and landed at her feet. She stared down at the scroll of parchment, wrapped with a strip of fabric.

Fabric glowing with angry green frogs.

Sophie looked up and saw a white dove fly high above the trees. The dove tried to fly down-

CRACK! A barrier of flames exploded across the sky if it even got close to trees. The faculty had taken no chances.

Sophie urgently pulled open the scorched scroll-

Gσ ƚσ ƚԋҽ Tυʅιρ Gαɾԃҽɳ. Oɳƈҽ ყσυɾ ϝιɳɠҽɾ ɠʅσɯʂ, ρυƚ α ƚυʅιρ Ⴆυԃ υɳԃҽɾ ყσυɾ ƚσɳɠυҽ αɳԃ ʂαყ FLORADORARA FLEURIANA. Yσυ'ʅʅ ƚυɾɳ ιɳƚσ α ႦαႦყ ƚυʅιρ. I'ʅʅ ʅҽαԃ ყσυ. Hυɾɾყ
- Aɠαƚԋα

___________________________

Y/N's POV -

Y/N paced on the dirt path, teeth grazing her nail as she watched contestants make their way towards the spider nest. Her mind wandered off to their plan. What was going on in there? Agatha had agreed to meet up at the Tulip Garden during the Trial but how easy would that be?

A hand gripped her shoulder and Y/N was force to stop. Slowly, she turned.

Eros stood tall from behind her. "Stop stressing out," he scolded her. "You'll be fine, and if you're not, you know what to do." His eyes fell onto the kerchief she stuffed into her pocket, and Y/N gave a silent, nervous nod.