𝟸𝟿

Ch 𝟸𝟿:Unhealed Wounds____

Ch 𝟸𝟿:
Unhealed Wounds
____

6:44pm
A FEW DAYS LATER
Rein's Soul Kitchen | Diner in downtown Houston

Pushing the door of the restaurant open, Aijah walked in slowly, scanning her surroundings. The sound of old R&B music, mindless conversations, and utensils clanking against plates instantly filled her ears. After telling the hostess that she was looking for someone, AJ walked deeper into the restaurant, trying not to look weird as she glanced over each table. It didn't help that the booths and tables were so close together, and the dinner rush had just started so the restaurant was starting to pick up with customers.

Aijah's eyes finally landed on a bearded man sitting in a booth in the far corner of the building and she felt the confidence she walked in with drop. She paused her steps and swallowed nervously as she stared at her biological father.

He didn't even have to turn and look at her, she could tell by his side profile that that was him. His hair was still cut into a short fro at the top, connecting down to his beard and the side of his face looked just as she remembered it. His arms, which rested on the table in front of him, were covered in tattoos, majority of which were special to her and her siblings.

She didn't even realize she'd approached the table until the man looked up at her with the same dark brown eyes as her own. "Aijah?"

Her breath caught in her throat at the sound of his voice. Simply hearing that one word gave her flashbacks of all the times he'd call her name when she was younger. She couldn't figure out if she wanted to hit him, hug him, or run. Or all of the above.

"Um-"

"Please, sit down." He spoke softly, gesturing towards the empty seat in front of him. She silently slid into the booth, keeping her eyes trained on his. "Wow, look at how much-"

"Don't." Aijah shook her head, cutting him off.

Lionel cleared his throat and nodded, not wanting to come off too strong. But he was just as nervous to meet Aijah as she was to meet him. "Uh, how have you been?"

"In regards to what? Like how have I been in general, or how have I been since you abandoned me?"

Lionel eyebrows rose slightly. "I guess both."

Aijah shifted uncomfortably, looking away from his eyes before speaking. "My life is good, my job is good, friends are good, family is good. Everything's easy. As for you not being in my life—I wouldn't have remembered if momma hadn't told me you had been trying to reach me."