Chapter 8 - Words Of Beginnings

...Do you really think you know the nature of wild things? You think you can read them like mere words in a book?

No, you may think you do, but in all reality, you know nothing at all.

All things that are truly wild will never reveal themselves completely to you, no matter how hard you try. It can't be bought by impatience and aggression, only able to be touched by hands of grace and ease.

You will get glimpses of a past here, floating between gaps like butterflies in the dark. There will be parts here, half ripped, half stained. There will be parts there, parts that are bathed by thorns and parts illuminated by the sunlight.

You think it will be easy... But it never is so simple.

Finding the pieces might not be a problem, but the true test lies in putting these pieces together. They are named the 'wild' for a reason. Fitting parts of them together is almost like trying to fit shards of broken glass back where they belong.

Wild things were not meant to be held by ropes of measure or by eyes of wonder. They were meant to stay true, loved but not adored. If you tread too rashly, you will only cut yourself on their sharp edges and injure yourself. Move too fast and you'll only end up regretting it in the end. You can't reign them in with lies or half truths that are spun from foolishness or recklessness. That is as stupid as walking across a tightrope without a safety line; dangerous, too risky.

At the same time, if you take too much time delaying and avoiding, they will not appear. Wild things are smart, clever in everything they do. They make too much sense for you to understand, and will never cease to plague you of senseless questions.

The wild flow like water in a river, unable to form a definite shape or colour. If your leave them for too long, you will be surprised by how fast they may escape from your fingers. Even after they are gone from your hold, you won't know until it is too late.

Gunner knew he could only tread carefully, gentle but fearless.

He understood how hard it could be, but he was determined to find out exactly just what made these men so beautiful, so beckoning. He could have tried to put his thoughts into words, but there were no such thoughts.

Gunner did not know what, all he knew was that he had to find out about them. He had to truly know the three men.

"And within this burning flame, I vow to devote myself to your every being. I may be a pile of ashes by the end, but it is worth it. I will find you."

_____________________________________

By the time Gunner was finished, his head had cleared just enough for him to register just how truly intimidating it was to have three bright eyes on his every movement. Every time Gunner moved, he felt the intense gaze of three men gazing into him with the intent of a blazing storm.

Where his arms moved, the three sets of eyes followed. With every single carefully placed movement, Gunner felt their stares.

As a dreading numbness and ache started to take over his head, his now completely stitched shoulder was sending courses of pain spiking throughout his body. The haze in his mind was only starting to increase at an alarmingly fast pace, forcing a biting agony tingle and flare against his vision. Dizziness was here, slamming into his head with the full force of a furious wave. The damp cloth in his mouth barely did a damn thing to lessen the burn.