Chapter 6 - Skaris, Mikkel And Viking; Sorrow, Hatred and Anger

Heart pounding, sweat dripped down his brows, lacing his fears with sweet adoration. How the hell could he become so hooked at one single glance? Gunner didn't know why he couldn't take his eyes away from the beast, but it was able to make him unable to look away from the animal. It was like he was hypnotised by some sort of higher power.

Fuck, Gunner thought and gulped as he felt his heart hammer in his chest. He was terrified, but oddly drawn in to the beast.

... Maybe he was finally going mad. He felt as if he was going crazy. Sitting there on the floor gaping at an animal that could rip him apart with one move, there was definetely something wrong. Any sane person would have been running away by now.

Gunner had been through alot in his life; he had ran from police, gang members, drug addicts, heroin junkies and from men who beat their wives till the women were bruised from head to toe. He had crossed paths with the crazed who kidnapped children, from teen punks, molesters and hired hitmen. He had stared death in the face many nights, starving until he was delirious, or forced to stay in the cold until his fingers turned blue. Gunner may not have been made by steel like some people were, but he was hard to scare.

However, even he knew when to abandon that foolish pride and confidence to come out of something alive. Because despite being fearless, Gunner knew that he was only a human with many weaknesses. Dealing with other people was one thing, but animals like this beast were entirely different. 

He should have walked out of this underground enclosure already. Taken the way out without so much as a shred of hesitation. If he stayed, the animal would most certainly tear his limbs out piece by piece.

Yet, Gunner couldn't move. His legs wouldn't budge. 

By the time he understood what it was, Gunner found himself standing up. His own voice came out like it was in a trance. "...W-What is your name?" He managed a shaky breath. This was so unlike him, he didn't get nervous that easily.

His heart clamped and dropped, stomach churned and he actually felt sick.

The tiger's growl became more feral as it whpped its tail around. It snarled, cocking its head upwards before it continued to glare at Gunner, eyes filled with a resounding roughness. Gunner felt the fear start to seep through every muscle of his body when the tiger bared its teeth. That was when Gunner saw deadly claws extended out into view and gleaming sharpened fangs exposed.

He was sure that it wanted to kill him. 

What the hell was he doing trying to talk to the beast?

Seconds passed and Gunner remained as still as a stone statue, meeting the tiger's eyes. He didn't feel comfortable at all, in fact the boy still hated animals. But there was something so beautiful about them that even he couldn't deny.

Gunner was suddenly brought back to all those times when he stood and stared at the night sky, watching as the stars filled the blank space. The sky was calm but wide, powerful but frragile at the same time. Whenever he stared at the sky, Gunner felt wonder. Suddenly realisation dawned on him that this beast's eyes were like this - traveling, soulful, dangerous and pure. In all his life, he had never seen anything like them. 

In the dim light of the place, Gunner could only barely make out some of its details but what he saw still shocked him. From the tip of its tail to its paws, the tiger's fur was a light golden colour, crimson eyes shone with a tinted flecks of green, blue and yellow mixed in an array of mystery. Gunner didn't know much about animals at all, but he knew enough to understand that the beast's coat was rare. Stripes that were meant to be a dark black were instead a light brown colour, streaking across in scattered patterns.