Chapter 4 - Destinies Unknown

The day was chilly, nipping at everyone's skin as they passed him. Gunner shuffled, clicked his tongue in irritation and crossed his arms in front of his chest, trying to savour what bit of warmth he could possibly get. Around him, the streets seemed to just be waking. Morning had just touched the sky, now people were filing out of their houses to go wherever they went. 

Gunner didn't care for the glaring adults in their business clothes walking past him, or for the chatting teens that bounded out in groups to get to school. 

"Morning, Beth!" Side-stepping, Gunner stepped back just in time to miss the girl that launched herself forward towards her friend's open arms. "Hey, did you finish homework? I don't get why we're doing it anyways--school's a waste of time."

He eyed the two girls, a frown deep on his face. He felt that familiar irritation boil at his skin, just below the surface like a flaming fire ready to burst at any moment.

If there was anything he should be used to, Gunner should be used to being around people. But there was only so much he could tolerate and take... Complaining teenagers, people who whined at every small thing, or people who thought they were better than everyone else, he disliked the most. He didn't hate the person, but he hated the way they acted.

Never in Gunner's life would he complain about anything. He wouldn't let himself do that and he didn't see any reason to. 

He knew he was lucky, so fucking lucky. He was alive. He wasn't dead, or burdened like some other people with self-doubt and depression. That was reason enough for him to celebrate his life. Even if he wasn't as fortunate as most other people, he was fortunate enough to be able to breath.

He never wished for the life he was given, but he was given it all the same. All he could do was to keep going on.

With a short shake of his head, his eyes shifted away and glanced back at the busying street. "Be grateful." Gunner mumbled to himself, a mantra that he had repeated to himself every day of his life. The sun above him was bright in the sky, but the chill around the air was anything but friendly at the moment. 

It was a moment of complete stillness that surrounded Gunner as he stood there and stared at everyone, eyes accessing and calculating.

Time to get to work, Gunner smiled discreatly. He moved a step and placed himself right in front of a clothing store. With a slight push, he was now leaning against a pole and faced towards the street. At the sound of chattering voices, his eyes moved sideways to meet with the sight of a family.

"I want to go into that store!" The teenage girl's voice clapped out in high-pitched whimpers. The curls in her hair shook as she moved her head back and forth, from mother to father. "I need another dress. There's no way I can wear the same thing every day!"

Her older brother beside her snorted, elbowing her to shut her up before he whipped to face his parents, eyes filled with a certain greed like his sister's. "She's got a ton of clothes already, she doesn't need anymore! Get me a car, dad. Mike's got that one that came out just months ago. I want a newer model."

Gunner's ears were drowned by the words he heard and even he was having a hard time trying to hold back a wince... Some people really couldn't appreciate what they had.

While they argued, he waited. His eyes were glued on one place; their pockets and bags. 

Moving, his lips stretched into a smirk when he drew closer to the teenage boy. Gunner felt suddenly like luck was on his side. There right in the boy's pockets were a few large notes. Usually, he had to wait a little longer to spot people to steal from, but today he was off a to a great start and it seemed like he was going to be able to get lunch and dinner.