4

I stood up as a red Camaro parked in front of me. 

"Ok. Why here?" Duke immediately asked as I buckled in. 

"Why not?" I asked missing his not-so-nonchalant attitude. 

"You're too old for jokes, babe."

"Hey, you don't tell a lady she's old."

"I just did." He chuckled this time.

"Grandpa...pshh." I mumbled. 

Silence.

"Hmm..." He laughed and so I did. I miss him. "It's good to see you again, Laine." His eyes stare ahead.

"I know..." I smiled. "I missed you, too."

We are both not fond with words and explanations. Maybe that is one of the qualifications of being a guardian, other than being shattered. But he is more of active than me. To think about it, guardians are not exactly needed nowadays. It's not exactly peaceful but it's not chaos. There are no wars to fight, least blood to shed, all that is left is our curse and a title. 

What is meant to be a guardian?

"So, he was there." Duke said the moment we arrived at my not-so temporary home.

"Yes." I did not bother to ask how he knew; he would just say that he has his ways. He sighed.

"We both know what may happen."

"Yes." I answered a little tiredly. 

"Laine, take this seriously."

"I'm serious." There is no need to exclaim how serious this is. "I know the possible outcome. That's why I left. But our fate is intertwined whether I like it or not. You understand that more than anyone else." He did not answer. He is also a guardian but for the vampires. Like me, he is cursed. We are all powerless against this.

"I know. I am no better than him but still, if he rejects you," He paused, I caught a glimpse of his eyes glowing red, "I won't promise that he will be safe."

He is just being overprotective. I mean, he is indeed going to do what he said but still, isn't that too much? Well, he is not the first one Duke wants to kill or something. I sighed. I suppose, fate renders me helpless once again.

The next morning...

I lie awake, staring at the ceiling. There is a high probability that I will meet Aiden again. And I mentioned the unspeakable name. I don't know what's going on in his head but it won't be soon until he rejects me. That is always the case. If I stay in bed all day, will I be able to bend this destiny? Will it change anything?

I sighed for the tenth time, I don't want to go. I suppose I'm tired of fates and curses. I don't want to test my luck and have another heartbreaking argument with him. Should I have insisted that he reject me? I have been an absentee guardian for years and if something happened to me, no one will be affected. Well, he might  be killed. 

I heard Duke's car as he drove away. He said he's here for business, and by the looks of it, he is telling the truth. He does not have any reason to lie.  Although he is busy, he still checks on me. His fiery eyes came to mind. 

What should I do?

This feeling since yesterday has not yet dissipated. What if I see him? I will see him. But is it enough that we parted ways or does he want to reject me to tie loose ends? Of all people, he is someone I couldn't fully read.

*Ring...Ring*

"Hello." I answered without looking at the screen.

"Athena, are you coming here?" It's just the headmaster.

"What's the matter?" I sat up, squinting my eyes.

"Can we talk here?"

"Is it that urgent?" I stood up and found my way to the bathroom. He said yes, so, I quickly got myself ready.

As I head downstairs, I found a note saying: 

"I'll be back here, but you should cook yourself dinner. And AVOID that guy." 

I couldn't help but smile. As if, that is possible. I grabbed a bread and continued to walk. He said it was urgent, and there is one way for that. I let the mist enveloped me and as it disappeared, I stood in the headmaster's office. I can teleport, one of my skills, I suppose. Instantly, I caught the scent of Aiden, he was here a minute ago.

Needless to say, his problem is Aiden. He turned to me from his deep thoughts.

"Alpha Aiden was quite persistent." See? I'm right. "He went back again and kept on telling me to agree with him." Yes, he is stubborn.

"He told me that he will adopt these children. I know he means well but he wants to train them as warriors. And he kept on saying that it is for their own good."

Wait a sec. Adopt? This is an orphanage but... warriors?

There has been peace between werewolves and vampires for centuries. I haven't heard of any rift in the agreement or with other races, and if there are, the king will not let it pass.

"What was your response?" "I told him it's too early to decide for them, that I have to carefully think about it." I nod, but...

"He's still here." I could feel his presence. My sudden use of teleportation spell, awakens my senses."Yes, that's one of my problems. He does not seem to get the idea that decisions take time." Ah.. yes, he basically kidnapped me without any thought and did not even bother to say 'hi' or get my feedback.

"Fine. I'll talk to him." This is officially my business now.