"Ew move on." Pete cringes, "So you're definitely the Father?"

Sirius nods, "Not a single doubt it my mind."

"Didn't you use protection?!" Remus asks, raising his eyebrows.

"Sometimes.." Sirius admits quietly, "Sometimes it would just be too heated too fast and we'd forget-"

"SIRIUS!" Remus and James scolded at the same time, "Fucks sake!"

"You were actually in love with her..weren't you?" Remus nods understandingly.

Sirius looks away back to the fireplace, a glimmer of sadness in his eyes, "More than I thought I was ever capable of."

*********

The following day Remus finds himself alone in library with Kate. She offers him a small smile, the warm familiarity a welcoming distraction from all the drama. He takes a seat besides her, placing his books on the table.

"Whatcha studying?" Remus asks curiously.

Kate lifts the book, showing Remus the title 'Motherhood: A guide for new Mothers.' Remus nods, grabbing his copy of a muggles history and starts to read.

They sit in a comfortable silence, the only light is that of a candlelight in front of them. The rest of the library empty as students didn't tend to hang in their much.

"He knows." Remus suddenly mumbles, keeping his eyes glued to the page, "Sirius knows."

Kate sits back in her chair, her stomach grabbing Remus' attention. It seemed that every time he saw her, the stomach had tripled in size. She strokes her belly uncomfortably and lets out a groan.

"How long?" She asks, leaning forward again.

"He had a meltdown last night." Remus admits. "He told us it's definitely his." Remus pauses, glancing at Kate, "It is his isn't it?"

Kate sighs and nods slowly, "He's the only person I've ever been with Remus."

Remus frowns, "and you both hid it from me?"

Kate smiles, "He didn't want his family to find out about me.. I don't know why he was so worked up about it."

"How long were you two...ya know?"

Remus was fishing, he knew what Sirius had said last night but he wanted to hear her side of the story too. He'd spent so much time with the pair of them and both of them had never slipped up. Never mentioned a word about the other.

Despite Kate being friends with Lily, Marlene and Mary, Sirius always acted off with her. He rarely spoke to her, gave her a lot of side eyed glances and pretended she didn't exist. At least in front of everyone else he did, behind closed doors and hidden away was another story between the pair.

"Since September." Kate shakes her head, a hint of bitterness in her tone, "The night before we left for the Christmas holidays, he told me he was in love with me."

Remus goes pale realising what had ended so bitterly between them, "He kissed Mary that night."

"Yeah exactly." She shrugs, "There is no taming someone like Sirius Black, I should have known better."

"Why didn't you tell him? About the baby?"

Kate forced a small laugh to hide the fact her eyes are threatening to spill tears, "I met up with him that night to tell him. But we ended up having sex-that's all he ever wanted. He's some sort of sex addict. Anyway he told me he loved me.. I didn't say it back,so he stormed off. I couldn't say it back until he knew, because what if he changed his mind once he found out?He didn't want kids, he'd told me that before. He didn't want an heir to the Black family name." She shakes her head, "I ran after him but I was too late, he was already pinning her up against a wall in front of everyone."

"He's a dickhead." Remus sighs.

He loved his friends unconditionally, they were his brothers. The family he never had but he had to admit that Sirius Black was an idiot. An immature selfish idiot.

"I often wondered why he had to sneak me around but could kiss Mary like that in front of all his friends..it made me feel like I wasn't good enough for him. I was just his dirty little secret."

Remus shook his head, "He's an immature wanker but he told us last night, he was in genuinely in love with you.. he kept you hidden because he didn't want to share and he wanted to keep you safe from his family."

"I don't care anymore." Kate shrugs, "That ship has sailed."