Chapter 6

It was a nice day. Not too hot or too chilly, with a gentle breeze that made her red hair sway in the wind while she lounged on her deck. Henry was gone. Him and Jake were downtown at one of those dreadful model train exhibits. Henry didn't like trains but Jake had bribed him with going to the arcade afterwards, which had left her alone. Alone with the sea breeze and her loud mind.

She thought of the short time spent in Seattle and of how much happened in such little time. The transplant should have been the highlight of her stay however Meredith had stolen the spotlight with the whole soulmate thing. Crazy how big and small the world can be all at the same time. One minute you're talking to your ex-husband's widow and the next to your soulmate.

The ringing of the doorbell brought her back from her daydreams. She had been waiting for Chinese food. There was nothing like crappy tv and crappy food to fill the brain with anything but problems. Wine could also work or something stronger but the idea of a hangover wasn't very pleasing.

She made her way to the door, grabbing her wallet as she walked by the kitchen counter. As she opened it she felt her heart stop for a second when baby blue eyes stared back at her.

"Meredith? What-"

"If I keep a secret will I get an ice cream party too?"

The question left her brain empty for an instant only registering the fact that Meredith had slightly lifted her shirt a few seconds after the baby blues eyes drifted to the reddish feather on her hip. Addison felt her cheeks grow warm and knew she had flushed considerably.

"Busted?"

"I'd say so."

"Come in." Addison said, averting her eyes sheepishly.

"Never thought I'd see that."

"Yeah well I never thought I'd see many things." She looked back at Meredith, who averted her eyes this time around making her chuckle. "You have my dinner?" She asked, noticing the bag of food in her other hand.

"Yeah. Smells nice. I tipped the driver."

"Thank you." Addison smiled, taking the bag of food from her. "Go on, I'm right behind you."

Meredith timidly walked in and she led her to the living room, offering her a drink. The blonde opted for water instead of wine, which given the situation they were in was a rather good idea. Addison took the food to the kitchen and brought back the cups of water for the two of them. Sitting next to Meredith she noticed just how nervous and fidgety the blonde was so she decided to start or at least try to start with the inevitable conversation.

"So..."

"Yeah." Meredith's voice sounded tiny so the redhead took a deep breath.

"Do we go straight to the point or shall we exchange amenities?" Meredith remained silent and she released a sigh. "Thought so. How was Minnesota?"

"Great. Annoying. Awful."

"In that order? That's one nasty fall."

"Agreed. I tried to make it great again but..." Meredith's voice died out and Addison gave her a small sad smile. The blonde turned away and let out her own sigh. "How long have you known?"

"Hmm what day is it today? I think three days? Yeah, three days."

"You... you didn't..."

"Didn't say?" Addison readily supplied. "Probably because I was afraid." She replied and Meredith turned to look at her again with a frown.

"Afraid?"

"How was your date?" Addison asked, trying to change the subject quickly. Meredith stopped looking at her wringing her fingers. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean it like that."