Prologue

- Jennie -

"Cheers to another year full of achievements!" Grandpa Benjamin said.

It was the end of the year, it should be the most joyous event but I can't find even a single hint of happiness in me at this very moment. I just wanna leave and just be alone, because even if I'm in a room full of people I still feel alone, I still feel left out and it only drains me to be here.

All I can feel is jealousy, jealousy over Nini. I know jealousy is a bad thing but I've been trying to do everything that I could ever since I was just a child. I never heard a single compliment or a recognition from any of them, all I'm asking is to be recognised for the things I did, but I guess you can't really have everything that you wanted.

"Jennie, are you alright?" My mom asked.

I looked at her and just nodded. My heart felt a little happy because I thought my mom finally cares about me, but boy I was wrong.

"Then sit properly and give attention to what you're eating, you look so disrespectful. Look at Nini, be like your sister and show interest to what your uncles and aunties are saying." My mom whispered.

I just wanna be cared about, I just wanna be asked if I'm okay because they really care about me and not because of some bullshitty image they made themselves.

"I will, I'm sorry." I said and did exactly what she told me.

Sounds funny but at the end of the day I'm the one who should say sorry, I'm the one who should be sorry for not being enough for them, no one will say sorry but me.

Everyone here doesn't even give any interest in me nor doesn't even really care about me but why should I care about them and give interest in them? Everything is just so unfair to me, my heart is crying while I'm smiling and trying my best to be like her, to be like Nini.

I ate the dish that our personal chefs cooked, it tastes nice and it's the only thing that's good in this goddamn room to be very honest. All I can see are fake smiles, the exchanging of fake laughs, everyone in this room is not having fun, obviously.

"So, Jennie let's talk about you!" Nini suddenly said making our relatives look at us.

I was shocked and didn't know what to say.

"Ahhmm, no t-thanks. You guys just continue talking about-" I haven't finish my sentence yet but Nini already cut me off.

"Do you guys know that this semester she got the highest score? Isn't she amazing?" Nini said.

I know what she's doing...

"Ohhhh, what about you Nini?" My Uncle asked her and they continued talking about her again.

I knew she would use me so she'll have their attention, she's such an attention seeker. I can't blame her though, our parents gave us so little attention while we're growing up.

"Mom, can I use the comfort room?" I asked and she just nodded not even looking at me. She gives too much attention and interest to others but gives her daughters less of those.

I mentally laughed with how much of a fake my mom is, she's someone I wish I will never be.

I made my way out of my grandparents mansion and went to where my car was parked. That's right, I lied about going to the comfort room, there's no way I will stay there for another hour! It'll be the death of me.

I hopped in and started the engine, then I started driving. I saw my grandparent's guards chasing me down as I drive away from their mansion, I bursted out of laughter because of the nervousness I'm feeling and the sudden rush of adrenaline in my blood for this is the first time I tried to runaway from them. I felt so... Alive.

This place is no stanger to me, it's actually a nice place if you'd ask me but it is also one of the places I wish I never knew, one of the places I wish to forget.

I rolled down all of my car windows and felt the cold breeze of the air. The road is empty and I'm surrounded with tall trees. I turned my volume up and sang along to the song I know by heart. The air is winding up hair as I speeded up my car, not even caring if I'll die tonight or not. I just wanted to be free, free from all the bullshits, free from everyone.

After some good minutes of wilding, I slowed down and I saw the fireworks at the sky, making me park my car in the middle of nowhere.

I saw a car parking next to mine as well. I looked at the driver and it's also a girl, thank God. The moment the girl came out of her car, I was astonished. She's gorgeous and tall!

She looked at me and saw me looking at her, she smiled at me and say...

"Happy New Year."

I felt my knees weakened. It's a good thing I left that place much more earlier.

I returned a smile walked a little closer to her.

"Happy New year too!"  I said with a joyful voice.

After that the two of us didn't spoke anymore and just watched how the fireworks colored the dark midnight sky.