↠ 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐨

Start from the beginning

"I really think it's best if you're both awake for this," she said. "I'm sorry, I was told to wait."

"They sent you here just to tell me that you know why this happened, but that you aren't going to tell me?" George asked doubtfully.

"I came to check on Mrs. Harrison."

"Well, she's still not awake," George responded. "Will you at least tell me when she might wake up? Do I get to know anything?"

The nurse sighed, looking almost fearful of the clearly-angry George Harrison. "It should be any minute, Mr. Harrison," she said. "I'm going to go and get the doctor."

George nodded mutely, and his eyes moved elsewhere, not wanting to look at the nurse any longer. He shouldn't have been so short with her; she was only doing her job. He was just bloody pissed. He had to take it out on something.

When the nurse was gone, he reached for Alexandria's hand and leaned in close. "Fuckin' hell, Alex, wake up," he muttered. "Might actually kill these daft doctors if I don't have you to stop me." He brought her hand to his lips, pressing a kiss against her knuckles. Maybe if he gave her some sort of touch to react to, it would stir her awake. He rested his forehead against the back of her hand and closed his eyes.

As if God planned this moment out in careful detail, Alexandria's eyes fluttered open. At first, she felt a little upset because she'd been stuck in such a dreamy daze ever since her collapse. In comparison, the world felt dark, dreary. Then, she felt panic. She had no clue where she was, she didn't know what the beeping in the room was, and she didn't know what that smell was in the air, that awful chemically smell. Finally, she moved her head enough to see George, and she was calm again.

A circular tube was hooked around her ears, and a lovely stream of fresh air blew through it into her nose. She wondered why she needed such a contraption, though. George felt her move after a moment, and his head shot up. Their gazes fell on each other, both wide-eyed.

George felt a thousand emotions at once, and he stood, looking her over as if he didn't even believe she was awake. Surely, his eyes were playing tricks on him, showing him something that he so desperately wanted to see instead of what he was really seeing. "Goddamn," he hissed, putting a hand to his forehead. "You fuckin' scared me, ye twit," he said in a rush, leaning down to kiss her on the lips as if to make sure that she was real. A tear dripped onto Alexandria's face as he leaned down, and he pulled away to wipe it off, blushing. "Look at me," he said. "Crying like a big baby."

"What happened?" Alexandria asked, feeling a rush of emotions when she saw George crying. George rarely ever cried. He kept his emotions in check even when Alexandria was upset, just to keep her from getting worked up like he knew that she tended to.

"No, don't you cry," George said when he saw the tears gathering in her eyes, wiping them away with his thumbs. "You're okay," he said. "There's no reason to cry."

"But you're crying," she argued.

"I know, but I don't want you to cry."

"But when you cry, I cry."

George kissed her on the forehead and wanted so badly to put his arms around her. But he was too afraid to move her. She looked so bloody fragile right now, it was as if she'd break under his touch. So, he just kissed her, all over her face because he was so happy that she was awake.

"George," she said between his kisses. "What happened?"

George pulled away finally and looked into her eyes. "I don't know," he said.