𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐕

"Don't scream."

You nodded as your throat clogged with anxiety. You didn't struggle under his touch, knowing that even the smallest noise could draw attention to your room.

"I'm going to remove my hand, and you're not going to struggle, shout, or hit me." Carlos was demanding more than asking.

You nodded yet again this time in a more vigorous manner. Your eyes laid upon the boy on top of you, placing a hand on his chest in an attempt to push him away.

"Y/n." He spoke in a dark and rasp tone.

You placed your hands back on the mattress, muttering an inaudible 'I'm sorry'.

"Will you behave?"

You nodded, finally taking a deep breath when he pulled his hand away from your lips. Although you refused to look at him, you vividly felt him shuffle off the bed and close the window.

"What..." you began to whisper, sitting up from your lying position as you eyed him up and down. "..what are you doing here?"

"I finished my chores." He walked to your door, flipping the lock before taking a seat in your chair. He made his way towards you, getting as close as he could while still sitting.

"You're not allowed to be here." You scanned his posture. His cautious atmosphere was gone and without hesitation, he made himself at home. He rested himself on your chair, arms folded across his chest while crossing one leg over the other.

   "Nice room."

   "Carlos." A blunt tone dragged from your lips. "Why are you here?"

"I finished my chores." He revolted his gaze from you, hiding his face with his messy hair.

"You hurt me."

Those words struck him like an arrow right through the heart. A combination of guilt and shame wrestled in his chest. His eyes lingered to meet yours then dropped again. "I know." He retorted in a low tone.

You had nothing else to say. The elephant in the room didn't leave. The tension and discomfort only seemed to rise as the silence lingered. You had to say something.

Yet you stayed silent, picking on the loose skin of your fingertips. You didn't lash out at him the way he did to you, you were smarter than that. You wanted to handle this situation as mature as you could, and arguing back wouldn't do any good.

"I don't forgive you."

"I know." He forced those words past his lips, speaking in a soft growl.

Silence.

You swore that you could hear your heartbeat. Each breath you took became prominent, it was almost frightening.

"I'm..."

You looked up at the boy as his voice went dry for a second. The soft tone that he carried was new. He gave you a sorrowful yet hesitant expression.

"I'm... sorry."

"Are you?"

Carlos's eyebrows furrowed. He hated this. Why did he even come in the first place? He figured you'd shut up and accept his apology. "...yes." A hint of hesitation sparked from his face as he scrunched his eyebrows further.

"Look at me and say it like you mean it." Now, this was entertaining. The roles were finally reversed. Oh, how amusing was this?

Carlos scoffed, turning to face you. Your eyes widened at the sight, a soft and arrogant grin subconsciously making its way to your face. If it wasn't for the dimmed room you would've seen the cherry hue blooming on his cheeks.

"I'm—" he paused, pursing his lips as he drilled his eyes into yours, looking through his eyebrows as he scrunched up his ruana in his hands.

You were patient. You sat there, not shifting your gaze from the shapeshifter in front of you. You didn't even blink.

"I'm sorry." He breathed out, finally getting a chance to catch his breath after holding it for so long.

"For?"

"You've got to be kidding me!" Carlos rose his voice and gripped his head.

"Shh!"

"Fine.." Carlos slumped further into his seat as he peered at your face. Only then did he notice the dark circles that were painted under your eyes. Your previously rose-coloured cheeks paled from the last time he saw you.

   Those weren't there before.

   Was what he did really that bad?

   He stopped and stared, his face going soft as his muscles relaxed. His eyes travelled from your face to your neck, soon making their way to your wrists.

   The bruises he gave you were gone.

"I'm sorry!"

The way that you screamed and cried. The way tears stained your cheeks and the way your voice cracked. The feared expression on your face.

"What's that?" Carlos remembered the way he held your sweet delicate face in his hands. The way he patronized and humiliated you. "Sorry, I didn't quite hear what you said there, sweetheart. Can you repeat it?"

   "Carlos?" You shifted from your spot on the bed, bringing the sheets to cover yourself up. The way he stared at you without a word was spine-chilling. "Leave," but you kept your confidence the best you could.

   "I'm sorry for mistreating you."

   "Thanks for the apology." You stepped off your bed and opened the window. "Now leave."

   "Come on, Y/n! I came here out of the kindness of my own heart and that's all you have to say? My mom didn't tell me to say this! I did it willingly!" He too stood up.

   "I know." You leaned against the wall with crossed arms. This was getting ridiculous. Why was he so persistent? You didn't understand.

   "If you know then why won't you consider the apology?"

   Your patience was getting thin. It was difficult to understand why he remained persistent, why he was being so stubborn.

   "Because I can't say 'it's fine' or 'it's okay' because what you did was nothing but fine or okay. Just... leave me alone." You saw potential in him. The way he came all this way you apologize to you was.. a start.

   Carlos swallowed the lump in his throat as your words sunk into his brain. He fell silent as he walked towards the window, stepping out and shapeshifting back into his brother.

   Being out of his own skin made him feel better.

   "I appreciate that you apologized though." You rested against the window sill and looked at him. "I don't think being friends will work out. Not unless you fix... this."

   "What?"

   "This." You gestured to his entire body.

   "So.. change myself for you?"

   You shook your head, "no, not for me. Change for the better. For yourself."

   Carlos paused. His gaze was dull and lifeless. He stared at his feet. Feet that weren't even his.

   "Wanna go to the library?"

   "Carlos." You sighed, rubbing your forehead. "It's like you're not listening!" You stepped away from the window. "Go home, Madrigal."

   With that, you shut the window.

   "I take that as a yes?"