𝐗𝐈

"Carlos?"

   "What are you doing?" It almost sounded as if he was bothered by something. You weren't doing anything bad, you weren't committing a crime. You simply wanted to speak with his brother.

   "Something happened the other day between me and Camilo." You had almost forgotten about the fact Carlos could've been involved in this conflict. Your top priority was to clear things up with Camilo.

   Carlos perked up at what he heard. For no longer than a second, his lips formed a grin until he dropped it, not wanting to act up. "Oh? What happened?"

   You recalled the moment. That's when it came back to you. You needed to speak to both Carlos and Camilo separately.

   "Actually, can we talk about it in private? Your room maybe. If.. if you're okay with that." You felt almost reluctant to go to his room, to be alone with him. Who knew what he'd do? Carlos was unpredictable and bold. But there were no other private spaces.

   "It'll be my pleasure," he bowed down in a formal manner, looking at you through his eyebrows with a keen stare.

   Something was off.

   He was different but you couldn't lay a finger on what it could be. Before you could say any more, he spun on his heel, only to open the next door over. He made his way to you and placed his hand on the small of your back. He said nothing and ushered you into his room, shutting the door almost immediately after you stepped foot into his room.

   You glanced around the large space, noticing that it was almost identical to Camilo's, just inverted and a maroon wallpaper. It's juxtaposed with Camilo's beige and brighter-looking wallpapers and better lighting.

   You took notes of the scattered mirrors, dark aura, lack of light. Everything about this room made you feel uneasy. You did your best not to show it. You didn't want to offend Carlos. Carlos Madrigal was the last person you'd want to offend. Who knows what he'd do to you if he's pissed off or angry.

Carlos picked up on your uneasiness rather quickly. He was a boy who could read anyone like a book. Did he act on what he saw? No, he didn't. Usually, he'd make a snarky comment or tease you, but this time he laid off. Only because he had expectations.

He expected you to tell him how much of a jerk his brother was. He wanted you to tell him all the bad things 'Camilo' did the other day and tell him that you didn't want to have any contact or relation with his twin brother any longer.

But those were nothing but mere fantasies and immature dreams. It was impossible for you to feel such strong hatred towards a person over one argument. Especially if that someone was Camilo; a boy who's been with you through your ups and downs and when you were at your lowest.

"What's wrong?"

Even the sound of his voice made you jump. A part of you looked for the comfort of Camilo's voice in his, but it was deeper and held a venomous tone.

You shook your head, "nothing." You tried to brush it off, taking a few slow breaths.

"Take a seat," he gestured to the couch. "Let's talk about what my brother did."

You were hesitant, meeting his eye for no longer than a second before taking a seat at the spot he gestured to; only to stiffen up when he sat directly beside you.

Awkward silence lingered in the air as you tried to bring yourself to speak. You didn't want to think that Carlos was that much of a menace to shapeshift into his twin brother to get to you. You didn't want to believe that a human being was capable of doing such harm. But you had to, it would leave you paranoid for days on end if you didn't.

"Was it you?" You choked out those words, glancing up at him and staring directly into his visible eye. Those three words were forced out of your mouth, regret washing over you when you realized you finally spoke.

   The boy was flabbergasted by the question you asked, picking up on what you meant in an instant. He didn't expect you to ask any questions. He wanted you to rant to him and spill your emotions.

   You went off his script.

   "Was what me?" Though he continued to act as clueless as ever. Sometimes Carlos forgot that you were actually a decent level of intelligence. He thought you were just like him.

   Naïve and immature.

   Not that he'd admit those traits aloud.

   Carlos Madrigal's immaturity would be the first thing someone would notice if they ever got a chance to know him.

   His naïve nature was something that he still has yet to notice and accept. He was inexperienced with friendship and conflict such as this. He can think of brilliant different ways to manipulate you and sometimes it wouldn't work because he doesn't take common sense and human decency into consideration.

   "Yesterday," you almost backed away and gave up on speaking. His confused expression made you doubt yourself. "By the tree, pretending to be Camilo. Was that you?"

   "No," Carlos shook his head and crossed one leg over the other. "What tree and when? I was in my room the entire day." He rested his elbow on his knee and propped his head up with his hand, looking into the mirror that stood directly in front of the couch you two sat upon.

   He made you doubt your knowledge, "yesterday when..." you paused mid-sentence. You paused when he turned away from the mirror and faced you, leaning back on the plush sofa. "..Camilo..."

   "What did Camilo do?" Carlos did his best to keep you focused on Camilo and Camilo only. The first time this will ever happen. "Come on, I'm here to listen to you." He gave you a smile-like grin, almost as if he was waiting for your speech.

   "He was just being a jerk." You were vague with your description, glancing down at the hardwood floor. His gaslighting got to you and you began to rethink everything you thought you knew. Your mind was so busy, you were stressed and could barely even think rationally.

   "He always is," Carlos placed his index finger on your chin. "I need you to elaborate more," he tipped your head up to meet his stare.

   "He was..." before you could continue, you couldn't help but notice his expression.

   False empathy.

   You picked up on it the moment you saw that shit-eating grin on his face. "So it was you!" You grabbed his hand and pushed it away from your face. You stood up within an instant and took a step away from him. "What's wrong with you?"

   Carlos knew he wasn't getting out of this one. You weren't as naïve as he thought you were. "Relax," he stood up as well, crossing his arms over his chest. "It was just a prank."

   "A prank?" You couldn't believe what you hearing. "A prank? That's what it was,? A prank? A person's feelings aren't a joke, Carlos!"

   The way you got mad at him fuelled his desire. The way your voice rose made him feel some sort of way and oh boy, did he love it.

   "You're smiling? What-- do you enjoy this? Are you having fun?" You stated that as nothing but a joke and a pathetic attempt to make him vulnerable. You thought that he'd be like his brother; understanding and apologizing for wrongdoings before admitting to what he did.

   "Actually..." with one swift movement, Carlos grabbed your wrists, pushing you against one of the walls of his room before pinning your wrists directly on either side of your head. "Yes, yes I am."

   "What?" You gasped for air when you felt his chest collide against yours, eyes going wide at how close he was. You could practically feel his breath on your lips as you looked into his visible eye; unable to speak and completely lost for words.

   "Yell at me again," he was mocking you, finding your vulnerability as a sight for sore eyes. "I dare you."