𝐈𝐈𝐈

"Mama, please! It's Antonio's gift ceremony tonight and the whole village is invited. I can bring Anita and the others. Just let me have this one thing." You weren't the type to beg, but you were willing to get on your knees to have this. You barely had a childhood, you can't even have a life out of home.

   "Y/n, enough. I'm sick of your blabbering. You need to stay here and keep your siblings together and in order. Do I make myself clear?" You mother finished doing her hair before she turned to slip her jacket on. "It's Sunday, you know how busy the bakery gets. Not to mention I picked up overtime at the infirmary. Dios mío, if only Julieta worked a little harder, then I wouldn't need this job." She scoffed as she did the buttons on her jacket. "But without this job, I wouldn't have much money, now would I?" She opened the door, waving goodbye to you. "See you tomorrow."

   "Mama!" With one final attempt to reach out for her, the door slammed. You took slow breaths to calm down, swallowing the tears that threatened to spill from your eyes.

"Just one thing." You sighed as you spoke aloud, walking over to the couch and plopping onto the plush chair. You felt like your parents controlled your life even though they were barely there.

   The least you can do is tell Camilo you can't make it. You didn't want him to feel abandoned by not showing up without a word.

   "Ivan!" You called out, forcing yourself off the comfortable chair and walked down the hall to find your brother.

   "Sí?" He popped his head out of his room.

   "I'm gonna head out for a bit. I need to talk to Camilo. You're in charge." Was it a wise decision to leave a nine-year-old in charge? To you it wasn't that big of a deal. He's done it before.

"But whyyy?" He whined as his posture bent, slouching as if he was already exhausted. "It's always me! Why can't it be Anita!"

"You're older."

"That's... true. But it isn't fair!"

Life is never fair, and you were so close to snapping at him and telling him that he has it easier. Because in your mind, you had it the hardest and they shouldn't complain. You were always in charge, not him. If Anita gets hurt, it's on you. Whenever your parents were gone, it was always you. It's because you're older... but you're still a kid! You deserve to have fun like teenagers do.

You didn't know how hard it was for young people like him to grow up without the love of their parents. Yes, you were one of them, but you stopped trying to reach for your parents' love long ago, because you were convinced they didn't love you.

   "I'll buy you candy on the way back." Bribery, the only way you'll get around with this. "What do you want?"

   "Ooh!" Now he wanted to do the job. It's not like he making had to cook lunch or dinner. It's the matter of making sure no one died. Simple enough, right? "You know the big lollipops that Diego has?"

You sighed softly, knowing exactly what he was talking about. But you didn't want to disappoint the poor boy. You were giving him an important job and you didn't want to get in trouble with your parents. "Yes, hermanito. I'll get that one."

"Thank you!" He ran up to you and pulled you into a tight squeeze. "I'll take good care of Anita and Azul! Count on it." He pulled away and ran into his sister's room.

"I love that kid," you said under your breath, grabbing your wallet and slipping it into your pocket before heading out the door.

Quickly, you made your way through the town, marching towards the Madrigal household. You wanted to be quick, you didn't want the kids to make a mess and have it blamed on you by your parents. Ivan was a good boy, he wouldn't do such a thing.