Senator in Danger

Coruscant

Hours have gone by since the Hellbat crew had arrived on Coruscant, their presence was a bit much to take in, especially Imperious. All of the Jedi were on edge, even the younglings could sense his presence. But nonetheless they were invited guests and as agreed were treated with respect.

Obi-Wan and Anakin had gone ahead to meet with Senator Amidala, while the Hellbat crew settled in but Imperious had better plans. He wanted to get started and went ahead to join the two Jedi.

When Imperious arrived at the Senator's penthouse, he could overhear their conversation. "Our presence here will be invisible, milady, I can assure you." Obi-Wan spoke as they all sat down. "I'm Captain Typho of Her Majesty's security service. Queen Jamillia has been informed of your assignment. I am grateful you are here, Master Kenobi. The situation is more dangerous than the senator will admit." A dark skinned man with an eyepatch and uniform spoke.

"I don't need more security. I need answers." Senator Amidala stated calmly.

"And answers you shall have."

Voice spoke catching everyone's attention. As they turned to the location of the voice, some were shocked, others were relieved. Imperious entered the room. "Senator Amidala, I am Lord Imperious. My crew and I were requested by Master Yoda to assist Master Kenobi and young Anakin, in this matter." Imperious said with a bow. "You're not a Jedi, are you?" asked the Senator cautiously. "Indeed. I am not a Jedi, but I have been around for far longer and am more knowledgeable in the force and other devious tactics." Imperious explained as Padme's eyes narrow with suspicion.

"All right. In that case, I will need your help in finding out who is trying to kill me." Padme stated as Imperious replied with a simple nod. "We are here to protect you, Senator, not to start an investigation." Kenobi stated. "We will find out who's trying to kill you, Padme. I promise you." Anakin said reassuringly.

"We will not exceed our mandate, my young Padawan learner."

"I meant that in the interest of protecting her, Master." Anakin replied. "We will not go through this exercise again, Anakin, and you will pay attention to my lead." Kenobi stated while Imperious could sense Anakin's growing frustration. "Why?"

"What?"

"Why else do you think we were assigned to her if not to find the killer? Protection is a job for local security, not Jedi. It's overkill, Master. Investigation is implied in our mandate." Anakin questioned in a defying tone, which now began to irritate Kenobi. "We will do exactly as the council has instructed. And you will learn your place, young one." Obi-Wan said in calm yet scolding tone. Everyone remained silent and seemingly uncomfortable with their bickering. But Imperious found it comforting that he wasn't the only one who had a stubborn Apprentice, seeing how Jak would always question everything they did, which Imperious grew accustomed to.

"Perhaps with merely your presence, the mystery surrounding this threat will be revealed. Now, if you'll excuse me, I will retire." Padme stated as everyone stood up from their seats and went their separate ways, but before Imperious could leave, Padme called out to him. "Lord Imperious? A moment?"

"What is on your mind, Padme?"

"You are a Sith are you not?" Padme questioned suddenly, surprising the Bat-like man. "Straight-forward and to the point, I like that." Imperious replied. "To answer your question... Yes I was."

"Was?"

"Yes Senator, I was a Sith lord, for a long time. But one day I met someone who helped me find a new purpose. So while I still carry my old red saber, know that I am on your side. And unlike our Jedi friends, I am not bound by the council's rules. I assure you, my crew and I will find your killer. And know that, as long as I am here, nothing will harm you." Imperious's word somehow managed to put Padme's worries at ease for the time being, as she looked into his red eyes and could tell that he was being honest. "Thank you, Lord Imperious, I--" "Please, lets drop the formalities, after all we are friends."