Chapter 20: Marzack

MUST READ!!!

Hello, everybody.  =)  Sorry for wait.  In case you did not get my update, I edited Chapter 19.  If you have not read the edited version, then this will make NO SENSE!   Thank goodness most of my writing was done before my hand got stung.  Even so, my hand is hurting from what typing I have done.  THANK YOU ALL FOR READING!!! I hope you enjoy this! God bless!

                                 ******************************************************

He is alive. I think as I stare at the dark grey beast. He stands ferocious and terrible as he towers over me displaying his terrifying fangs. With wings folded up tightly, knees bent, and claws outstretched, he is ready to pounce and destroy. His large grey eyes are trained on me and he lets out a monstrous growl. The sword feels so heavy now in my jumbling hands.

Another roar leaves his curled lips and he soars over me. I drop the sword and my knees fall to the cold cave as I cower with my arms over my head. I can't hear anything except the heavy beat of my heart and I feel nothing except trickles of sweat slowly easing their way down my body and shivers wracking my body.

I wait for his claws to sink into me like mine had sunk into that talyarian that I killed what feels like three years ago. I dread the feeling of his teeth digging into my delicate skin. I will be dead within one crunch. Why hasn't he done it already? I don't want to prolong my torture much longer.

Only then do I hear the screams and growls. I raise my head fearfully only to see an empty cave with the exception of Brean passed out at the side. Even more wary, I look over my shoulder to find to the dragon standing over two dead men soaked in mud. I had forgotten about the traders chasing after us. So, he wasn't acting aggressive towards me and only them? Or is it just because they posed more of a threat?

Surely he wouldn't kill his only hope, right? Then again, he let his other “last hopes” die off. Why should I be different? I made it here. That should say something.

My knees still feel shaky as I force my dirty legs to stand. The dragon makes a loud growl, then he finds my eyes. He stares at me with a growl still ready on his lips to make itself known. He slowly walks towards me. Every bit of courage I have carried through these awful events leave me, and I shiver harder as he begins circling me with critical eyes.

Finally, he pauses in front of me and lowers his head so that I am eye level with him. I like it better when his eyes were way up there, and not threatening me with a cold gaze. “You are indeed a jalz.” He says in a deep voice. His voice is hard and cold, but so beautiful.

I swallow a lump, and gather up what courage I do have. “I am. You are the last male dragon.”

He nods his large thorn like spike covered head. “You have made quite a journey here. I was wondering when you would get here and stop fooling around.”

“You knew I was here? All a long?” I ask with wide eyes.

“Of course I did. What remaining dragon in the accursed land sensed your presence when you entered into here.”

“Then why didn't you come search for me?” I ask, with anger seeping slightly into my voice. I was close to death on more than one occasion and many others did loose their lives on my and his account.

He cocks his head and lets out a low hiss. His tail flicks much like a cat about to attack their prey. “It wasn't my duty to come searching for you, quite the other way around. Secondly, you were busy playing around. I didn't wish to destroy your temporary and meaningless fun.”