The small space between Jenna's room and the now destroyed wall was empty.

~~~~~

Jenna screamed when Lanie Harmond slid open the concrete door and ran in with her gun. She ran behind her bed.

"Jenna...come out now and I won't hurt you..."

Jenna whimpered. She could hear Lanie coming closer.

And closer.

Fear gripped her. Jenna couldn't move.

Soon, the end of Lanie's gun was settled on her heart. God, I love you so much. This life was good. Really good. Will death hurt?

"Stop!"

Jenna's eyes popped open and she registered the shout. Matt? She saw Lanie was distracted for a moment and she used the time to jump onto her and tackle her to the ground.

Lanie shrieked. "Get off me, you rat!"

"Police! Freeze!"

Jenna and Lanie froze.

This time Lanie used Jenna's sudden stop to roll over and pin Jenna down. She reached for her gun and aimed it at Jenna.

"I said stop!"

Jenna knew it was Matt. Then, Lanie was tackled from behind and knocked off Jenna. She lay there, eyes closed, praying to God, thanking him for sparing her life.

Matt pulled her up, "Let's get out of here."

Jenna turned to see Lanie fighting like mad to get out of Blake's hold. She saw Lanie reach for her gun, but was pushed out of the room before she could see anything else. Outside her bedroom, was a broken down sheetrock wall.

Matt pulled her outside and Jenna saw a sunrise coming up on the horizon. She looked up at the colors in the sky, fell to the ground, and wept.

God, I'm alive. Thank you.

"Jenna!" Nicole yelled. Nicole ran over to her and enveloped her in a hug. "Oh, I was so worried."
Jenna sighed. "I was worried too."

Nicole and Matt helped her to the ambulance. Nicole checked her out, then left hurriedly when Blake came out, dripping with blood.

Jenna shivered in the cool morning air. Morning air she never expected to feel again. She felt eyes on her and turned to see Matt staring at her. "What?" She was surprised she could even talk.

"Don't ever scare me like that again."

It was then that Jenna noticed how he was staring at her.

With love.

~~~~~

Matt held Jenna's gaze. His heart was still in overdrive, but knowing she was alive was more than he could ask for. Thank you Jesus.

"Why are you looking at me that way?" Jenna's voice was weak.

"What way?"

"Like-like you-"

"Like I love you?"

Jenna's mouth worked but nothing came out. She simply nodded.

Matt brushed Jenna's hair behind her ear, "Because I do. I love you."

Jenna stilled, then she smiled, "For real?"

"Of course." He waited in anticipation for what she would say next.

"So I guess saying that I love you too is assuring to you."

Matt stared at her, openmouthed. "You do?"

Jenna nodded fiercely, tears brimming. "I do."

Matt leaned forward and cupped her face in his hands. He kissed her, passionately. When they pulled apart, Jenna's eyes were distant. "What?"

"Remember Lanie Harmond?"

"Yeah, she died."

"No. They faked her death. She's the woman that you just saved me from."

Matt's stomach churned. This was new. He looked over and saw Lanie shoved into a cop car. "Interesting. Well, everything will be okay now. I really do mean that."

"I believe you. And I trust you with that."

Matt looked at the woman he loved. "Are you going to be okay?"

Jenna laughed, an empty one. "I want therapy."

He turned her into his chest, "Whatever you want Jen, whatever you want." He would lasso stars for her. He would quit his job for her. He would do anything for her.

Because he loved her.