Chapter 10

Matt was surprised, "Really?"

"Yeah. You wanna see?" She suggested.

The fact that she had volunteered to turn off the lights after she had just been told about Harmond surprised him more. "Sure." He tried to sound nonchalant.

"Okay." She turned off a few lights until only the hall light was on. "You stand by the counter. I'll be at the end of the hall."

"That's a good thirty feet you know."

"I know. Just go." Jenna pushed him to the counter. Then she walked over to the end of the hall. "Ready?"

"Yes." Matt answered. Jenna turned off the lights. He was quiet and noticed that there were no small cries or panicked breaths. In three minutes, Jenna was touching his arm. He turned the lights back on and saw the radiant smile on her beautiful face. "You did it."

"Of course I did. I've been practicing. And loud noises don't scare me as much either."

Matt searched her eyes, "What changed?"

"I suppose I realized that it was an irrational fear. And I remembered how nothing changes in the dark, everything is still the same. 'Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light unto my path' I pictured a flashlight showing me the way."

"I'm so proud of you. And I don't mean for that to sound cheesy." He gave her a hug.

"It doesn't sound cheesy." Jenna's voice was muffled by his shirt.

Matt rubbed his thumb in circles on her back. If he could just stay here forever. Her head tilted up to make eye contact with him. All it took was to move his head four inches down...

"Don't even think about it." Jenna pushed him away.

Matt saw the uncomfortable look in her eyes. "Sorry."

She sighed and fell onto the couch. He noticed that Ted still sat on the edge. "It's okay."

He weighed his options for the night. Leave and risk Harmond coming back, or stay? He knew the latter would send Jenna over the edge. He would stay for an hour or two longer then go. "Is it alright if I stay a bit longer to make sure that Harmond doesn't come back?"

"Sure, I guess." Jenna stood and went into the kitchen. He heard some noises and then a few minutes later was handed an ice cream sundae. "TV?" Jenna suggested.

"Sounds good to me. I don't care what we watch."

"You sure?"

"Yep."

Jenna reached for the remote and to his surprise, turned on a crime show. More like an action show, but not what he expected her to watch. Maybe it was partly because she missed being out in the action helping others and this was one headway back into it.

Matt kept one eye on Jenna the entire night. At one point, she stood and went into the laundry room to do something, but for the most part she was snuggled on the couch. At about ten o'clock, he noticed she had fallen asleep. It was an adorable sight. She was cuddling with Ted and had a blanket pulled up to her waist. He turned off the TV and moved to the couch. Matt pulled the blanket up to her chin. His lips grazed her forehead. "Goodnight Jenna."

He quietly slipped out of the house and into his car. Something was still nagging at him, but just to be sure he reclined the leather seat of his SUV and tried to get comfortable. There was no way he was leaving Jenna.

~~~~~

Jenna's eyes adjusted to the light. Where was she? She saw some colorful paintings on a gray wall. A leather reclining chair, a lamp, a mahogany coffee table, a TV. And what was she snuggling with? It smelled like cologne.