Chapter 16

Matt was itching to get to Jenna. He needed to make sure she was alive. But of course, they had to go through all the safety procedures first and they felt like they were taking years.

He scanned the room. Samantha, Blake, Paige, him, and a few other cops he recognized as top notch workers. They were going to save Jenna.

When they were released, the group split into four cars. "Blake, turn on the sirens." Samantha ordered.

Blake nodded and flipped on the sirens. The other cars did the same and they sped down the streets to Jenna's neighborhood. "Blake, can we get Nicole and her team out here?" Matt asked urgently.

"Yeah. That might be smart." Blake whipped out his phone and made a quick call to his wife.

Samantha gave Matt a hard look. "She's going to be fine."

"You don't know that." He ignored Samantha's protest.

They pulled up to Jenna's house and Matt was slightly perturbed. Nothing seemed out of place.

"We go inside." Blake narrowed his eyes.

~~~~~

"But-but you're dead." Jenna pointed out.

Lanie Harmond, the previous governor's wife, gave a cold laugh, "Right. Dead. My husband knew that Raphael had no chance of finishing you off. We faked my cremation, faked the funeral. During that time, I was able to plot a way to get my son out of jail so we could finish you two off. Of course we knew that it would be virtually impossible to kill the Tanner man. But you-" Lanie laughed again. "I knew you would be easy to finish off."

Jenna felt a flaming hot rage bubble up. She stood up and ran to the vent, "I helped you! I saved your life when you fainted! And this is how you repay me!?" Lanie had faked her innocence on the fateful day when Jenna was abducted. She had fainted when they discovered that the governor and his son were involved in the weapon smuggling. Jenna, being a paramedic, went to help Lanie and almost got both of them killed.

Jenna got a glimpse of Lanie in the vent. If she was stronger she would rip off the vent and throttle the woman.

"Sorry honey. It's just how it works. Bad things happen to good people." Lanie stood so Jenna could see her face.

And the gun she was holding.

Jenna took a staggered step back. She raised her hands up in surrender. "Don't, please."

Lanie cocked her head, dropped the gun, then smiled evilly.

The screams resumed and Jenna sunk to the floor in terror.

~~~~~

Matt heard it as soon as Blake opened the door. The screams. He exchanged one glance with Blake and they took off towards the back of the house.

Samantha and the other cops followed suit.

Matt stopped short in the hall. There was a makeshift sheetrock wall up stopping him from getting any closer to Jenna's room.

The screams were much louder than before. Blake looked sick. "We need to get her out of there."

"Knock down this wall!" Matt shouted. He was terrified beyond words, for all he knew Jenna could be gone.

All five male cops started to slam down the wall. Samantha disappeared and came back with a hammer. Matt gratefully took it.

Eventually, they were able to create a small hole. Matt climbed through it and the rest climbed through after.