Chapter 11

Jenna had been in high spirits for the past month. Matt was...pursuing her and she took Nicole's advice and played hard to get. Some days she was busy, some days she left him hanging, and she still wouldn't let him kiss her. Even though she was dying for him to do it.

She pulled into her garage. "Nicole, I'd better go. Blake told me you two are going on a date tonight."

"Yes! We are. See you soon."

"Bye."

Click.

Jenna hummed a soft tune to herself as she entered the house. She filled Snickers' food and water bowls then took a seat on the couch. Her phone rang and she quickly got up to answer it. "Hello?"

"It's Matt."

Jenna brightened. "Hi."

"I was wondering if I could have the pleasure of taking you on an elegant date tonight. To a lovely restaurant. Dress up in all the fancy stuff."

Jenna would've said yes no matter where they were going. "Yes. Yes. Yes."

Matt laughed. "I'll pick you up in an hour."

Click.

Jenna spun around with Ted. "I'm going on a da-ate." She went to her room to pick out what she was going to wear.

She finally settled on a simple black charmeuse dress. It came right above her knees and wasn't all too flowy. She decided on gold accessories with a gold necklace and earrings from her late mother. Simple gold flats as well. She added a gold bracelet that was from her sister Jayla.

Her hair was put up in a formal bun and Jenna decided she looked very elegant. She picked a gold clutch purse to go with the montage.

Matt showed up in a black suit and pants with a white shirt and black tie. "Jenna Gilmore, you look absolutely beautiful."

Jenna smiled, "You look pretty handsome yourself."

He offered his elbow and Jenna took it. Matt led her to his SUV. He held the door open for her, "Ma'am."

"Thank you kind sir."

~~~~~

Matt refused to tell Jenna where they were going. When they pulled up at the Republique restaurant, Jenna gasped. "This place is amazing."

"I knew you would like it." Matt helped her out of the car. "I hope you don't mind but Blake and I arranged a double date."

He knew her reaction. Her eyes widened, she took a deep breath, then looked at him. He could've predicted it. "I-I am okay with it."

"I knew it might surprise you considering what happened last time, but you know we have Harmond in our sights. Trust me, nothing will happen."

Jenna took a deep breath. "Right. Its another one of my stupid irrational fears."

Matt caught her upper arm. "It's not stupid."

Her eyes glistened with something for a split second. But before Matt could identify it, Nicole and Blake waved at them.

Matt turned to see Blake in a suit similar to his and Nicole in a maroon colored satin dress the same length as Jenna's. The dress had a slight gather at the waist. Her accessories were silver, opposite to Jenna. He thought she looked pretty, but Jenna was prettier.

"Should we go inside?" Nicole asked.

Blake took his wife's hand. "Of course." Blake and Nicole went first, and Matt and Jenna followed.

As expected, the restaurant was lovely inside. It was dimly lit, with mostly tables, little booths. All the tables had black tablecloths. The walls were tan and had abstract paintings everywhere. The floor was a dark tile.

A waitress led them to their seats. Blake gave up the spot against the wall so Matt could have it. Mostly because both of them knew that Jenna should be placed with her back to the wall, just in case.

"Hi, I'm Carey and I'll be your server." A short, young woman with too many piercings in her ears approached them. "Can I get you started with drinks?"

"Water please." Jenna told Carey quietly.

Matt exchanged a glance with Blake and Nicole. Jenna wasn't herself. "I'll have water as well." Nicole added.

"Same here." Blake raised his hand slightly.

"Make that four waters." Matt told Carey.

"Alright, I'll have them for you shortly. Let me know when you are ready to order." Carey disappeared in a flurry.

Blake made small talk with Jenna, all while his arm rested around Nicole's chair. Matt noted how perfect the two were. He had heard about their bumpy past and it interested him greatly.

"Matt?" Blake looked at him with a raised eyebrow.

"Matt?" Jenna was looking at him with a slight grin. Her face looked brighter, maybe she was coping well with the double date.

"What?"

"Blake asked how your family was doing."

He shook his head. "Oh, sorry. They're good, doing fine. My mother is building up a sewing business or something of the sort."

"Interesting." Blake looked at Matt. His eyes twinkled. Matt knew what was coming and prepared himself.

But before Blake could act, Carey gave them their waters. When she left, Blake casually looked at Jenna. "I hear you have a cat."

Jenna picked up her glass. "I do."

"We were wondering if they have too much responsibility."

Matt watched Jenna bring her water to her mouth. "No, they're fairly easy. But you might give up a cuddle partner because Nicole might get attached to him."

Matt's jaw dropped. Nicole started to laugh. "I did not expect that from you."

Jenna shrugged slightly. "Well it came out."

"Interesting way to put it. I guess that Nic and I will have to look into it."

Matt grinned. Jenna almost spit out the water she was drinking.

Nicole looked open mouthed at Blake. "What did you just call me?"

He smirked. "I don't remember."

Even Nicole had trouble containing a slight grin. "I hope you enjoy sleeping on the couch tonight."

Jenna laughed. "Now you've done it."

Matt savored the laugh. If he could bottle it up, and listen to it whenever he wanted, he would. Whoa God, where did that thought come from?

"You wouldn't dare put me on the couch."

"Call me what you just did and I might." Nicole threatened.

"I love you." Blake told her innocently.

Matt laughed. Now it was his turn. He needed to wait for the perfect moment. Blake kept shooting him glances but he shook his head slightly. Eventually, the food came and Matt's mouth watered. He had ordered a fish filet with mashed potatoes and green beans. Jenna had gone with a chicken concoction of some sort that looked delicious.

Now it was time. "Would you pass me the salt, Jen?"

Jenna had reached for the salt but stopped when he called her Jen. "What did you just say?"

Nicole mimicked Jenna's earlier words. "Now you've done it."

Matt grinned at Jenna feeling no shame. "I said, 'would you pass me the salt Jen'. Is there something wrong?"

"I'm just saying if you ever want to see the light of day, I highly advise you to never call me that again."

"You can't use the 'I love you' phrase to get out of this one." Blake teased.

Jenna glared at Blake through laughing eyes, "He had better not."