Chapter 8

“So the house is sold now." Louis said. He was in the kitchen with Zayn.

“Is it now?"

“Yeah. Actually, the paperwork is being finalized and everything, you know? Like right now." Louis said, drinking his tea.

“So that's where Harry is." It wasn't a question, just Zayn confirming it to himself.

“Yeah."

“And you're not there because...?"

Louis raised his brow at Zayn's tone. “Your meaning?"

“Well you're always there with him. No matter what happens, you're always wanting to be there with him, for him. No offense but don't you yourself think that the lad is independent enough?"

Louis stayed silent, looking down at his half filled cup. He heard Zayn sigh after a short while.

“Listen man, Harry is not seventeen anymore. Neither is he desperate for someone to pay off for his uni. Nether is he wanting support to find a job or something. You know it very well that if he wants he can do everything perfectly. Sure it'll take more time than having you have someone do it, but he's still capable. Why do you do it?" Zayn asked.

Louis stayed silent again. He knew Zayn was right. Harry was very capable of doing everything himself. To buy and sell a house, to live alone, to do anything basically. Louis always just stuck with him and had been doing everything for him.

“I know you're trying to help, and that's perfectly fine, but don't you think that a man would suffocate after a time?"

Louis let that sink in. What if he suffocates and doesn't want to be with Louis anymore? It's not like they were together in the first place but that gave Harry more ability to just walk out without turning back.

“Louis?"

“Do you really think he'll go away and never come back?" Louis whispered.

Zayn sighed. “No. That's- That's not what I meant. What I meant was there is a possibility."

“Harry wouldn't just walk out after everything we've done for him!" Louis finally looked at Zayn, who's brows raised after hearing Louis' sharp tone.

“So you're gonna put guilt into him to get him to stay then?" Louis' eyes soften in realization after Zayn's words. “That's your strategy?"

“No. N-no. Of course not. I won't do such a thing. If he wants to leave then... he can. He can leave if he wants to. Of course he can." Louis mumbled, being defensive.

“You wouldn't like that, would you?" Zayn asked.

“I mean, who am I to stop him. My opinion doesn't matter. It never mattered, it wouldn't matter after what I did-"

“God dammit, Louis! You still think like that?" Zayn stumped his fist on the counter in frustration.

“Well how else you expect me to think?" Louis snapped back.

“Oh, I don't know. Maybe how Harry thinks."

“How do you know what he thinks?"

“If he thought for a second like you, he would be out of that door in less than a dang minute. You and I both know that!"

Louis just glared at Zayn as he watched him continue.

“You think it's easy for him to stay at a place where he was tortured?" Zayn continued. “No! It's not! I used to talk to him back when we had him and trust me he would rather have died than stayed. What makes you think changed his thoughts?"