Chapter Fourty One : Midnight Conversations

Start from the beginning

I laughed at this. "A cheesy Quidditch pick-up line? Oh my Merlin."

"I know! And I think it was something along the lines of... 'Are you a snitch? Because you're the finest catch here.'"

I laughed even harder, covering my mouth with my hands in hopes of muffling them but was ultimately unsuccessful. "Oh my Merlin!" I let out through fits of giggles.

"And that's not even the worst part!" Callum continued. "Afterwards he'd said 'Looks like I was right, you're a Keeper.'"

"No!"

"Yes!"

"No!"

"Yes!"

"Callum," I finally took a deep breathe, looking right at him with the most serious face I could muster and said, "I think you need to rethink your type in men."

"What?! Why? You don't the best taste either." Callum fired back.

"Oh really?" I jumped to my defense. "You where my type at one point."

"Oh, right." Callum facepalmed, embarrassed by his stupidity.

I chuckled. "Might as well get a new brain while you're at it."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nighttime drew closer as the day carried on. We'd had to stay inside for the most of it thanks to the bad weather (we all hoped it would clear up in time for the new years celebration) and had spent it by the fireplace playing some Wizards Chess. I must admit, Ron was surprisingly good at the game and beat the rest of us pretty easily. I have never in my life wanted to get revenge on an 11 year old kid more than I did then. But I digress.

Now cozied up in bed, covered in blankets and laying on mountains of pillows, I placed my book down on my bedside table and blew out the last remaining candle. After trying to fall asleep, and failing miserably, I heard my door creak open at about midnight.

I heard a bump, and then a few whispered curse words thrown around the room as the voice finally closed the door behind them.

I shifted up in bed, now wide awake. "Hello?"

"Shit." It mumbled. "I'm so sorry Y/n, I thought you where asleep. I didn't mean to wake you."

"Percy?" I whispered, almost immediately able to recognise his voice. "What are you doing here?"

"Oliver is snoring so loud my ears are going to bleed and yours is the only other room with a spare bed, I was hoping you wouldn't mind."

"No, no of course. Go get some sleep." I whispered, falling back into bed.

I heard Percy shuffle over to the other bed, it creaking slightly under his weight and the movement of the blankets. His deep, slow breaths and occasional shifting was easily heard in the dead silent room. But thankfully, it wasn't for much longer.

"Hey uh...Y/n?" Percy began, "I'm sorry about the other night. I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable or anything and I-"

"Just shut up, Percy." I said rather bluntly.

"What?" He asked, stunned.

"You didn't make me uncomfortable or angry or whatever else your thinking. You didn't do anything wrong, it was all a sort of spur of the moment thing. You have nothing to apologize for." I emphasized, speaking in a reassuring yet stern tone.

Percy shifted a little in his bed, letting the words sink in as he came to a realisation. "So... you where fine with it?"

I nodded. "I was perfectly fine with it, Perce. Might as well get some practice in before we got to Hogwarts." I joked, letting out a laugh.

He thankfully laughed a little to, nodding. "Ok, then. No apology from me."

"Good." I smiled, happily laying my head back down onto my pillow. We stayed in comfortable silence for a few more moments, taking this time to try and get some sleep. But I simply couldn't. I needed him here in bed with me.

"Hey... Percy?" I whispered so quietly it was almost inaudible.

"Yes?" He answered quickly.

"Can come here, please?" It had sounded like a stupid request, but I didn't care. I needed him close to me.

Without a word, he stumbled over to my bed in the dark and got under the covers with me. I moved over and lifted the sheets so he could get in. He was laying on his back as far away from me as possible - as much as he could be in such a small bed anyway. I could tell he wanted to be close to me too but didn't want to make me uncomfortable, and so I shifted closer. Eventually, after he'd still not moved from the corner of the bed, I layed my head on his chest and wrapped my arms around his torso, holding onto him tightly.

At the sound of his quickening heartbeat and his slow, deep breathing; I began to ease into him. He wrapped his arms around me, moving me in closer and pulled the blanket around us tighter. My heart began to beat faster, my breath caught in my throat.

"Y/n?" He murmured.

"Hmm?" I hummed back.

He hesitated for a second, as if wanting to say something else before completely changing his mind. "You ok?" He asked instead.

I let out a short, heartfelt laugh. "I'm ok Percy, I'm ok." I pulled him in tighter. "Are you?"

He looked down at me, smiling a little with his words. "Yes." He said. "Yes I am."

After a while, I had begun to drift off, head buried in his chest and inhaling the scent of his perfume. I was laying completely still, eyes closed and breathing slow and relaxed. Just holding him, being there with him automatically calmed me and helped lull me to sleep. It was as if all my fears simply washed away- all my anger, regret, sadness and frustration... it was no longer there. Because I was with him. Because he helped me in a way no-one else could, understood me like no-one else could. And all he needed to do, was just be himself.

Percy responded by softly humming an unfamiliar song and running his fingers through my hair at a slow pace, his fingertips gently brushing over my shoulder from time to time. He didn't know it, but it was exactly the response I needed. Within minutes, my eyes drifted shut, and my breathing slowed.

Percy kept humming and running his fingers through my hair for a few more minutes to ensure that I was asleep and comfortable. When he stopped, he looked down at my peacefully resting face that had gently snuggled its way into his neck. My one hand rested lazily on his chest while the other was gently gripping the side of his shirt. He swallowed heavily as he realized the situation he had just found himself in.

He couldn't believe that this was really happening, even if he was just acting as my friend in this moment.

His fingers absentmindedly played with my hair for a little while longer as he looked down at my sleeping face, noticing a strand of hair loose infront of my eyes and gently tucked it behind my ear. He sighed a little, a lovesick smile on his face as admired me. "What the hell are you doing to me, Love?" He whispered, placing a gentle kiss on my temple before, he to, drifted off to sleep.