Chapter 26: Descent into Madness (Beginning stage)

Start from the beginning

More death would come for the rest of his journey, as the masters fell like dominoes on each journey, one by one they perished in different ways. Some died because they sacrificed their lives for the others. Others died because they were foolish enough to harass people who were more dangerous than them.

One was arrogant enough to kiss the Hassan of Serenity, despite his awareness of what it would lead to and the warnings from the other masters. It was fortunate he barely survived due to his toxin resistance.

Another tried to use his "harem protagonist" skill to tempt Pollux into "lovemaking" with him. Guess who it was and how the situation ended. Unfortunately, the fool still survived and continued his ravenous attempts with other servants. Elias showed no empathy for him, as he was abusive, and always tried to become the center of attention, only for Elias or other masters to stop the boy from stealing the spotlight.

The third significant one was unexpected. She had summoned the servant Geoffrey of Monmouth into the Camelot singularity, in an attempt to converse with the knights due to her lack of understanding. 

Unfortunately, the appearance of such a man who popularized the legend of King Arthur made the singularity collapse immediately, and all of Team G, the team assigned to deal with the diverged piece of timeline in Israel all perished. The reason behind is yet to be known.

The final one was one a traitor attempted to attempted to create a lostbelt of his own in Australia, using servant Shielder, true identity Ned Kelly to become the lostbelt king. Unfortunately for him, all of the servants he summoned were modern. A shot to the head was all was needed to solve the issue. 

There were many more deaths, but Elias himself was not there to see all of them, as he was a member of Team D, who dealt with the Babylonian singularity. He was fortunate enough to have understood what he was dealing with due to watching the "singularity" before Chaldea, which gave him an advantage against most of his teammate in Chaldea. 

Now, one of his closest friends in Chaldea was dead. Even though Elias had seen a lot of death and tried to get used to it he was depressed and upset at himself for not being able to save them all, even though deserved death. One of them was that whiny master tha

Elias pulled out his phone to make a call. 

...

"I can't believe you would accuse me of doing that!" Elias yelled into his phone.

He had been accused by Olga Marie on the other line of slowing down Chaldea, just because he was responsible for Spencer's death, which would slow their progress of developing the organization.

"Your responsibility of handling your fellow colleagues is poor. Are you sure you are not trying to sabotage our development?!"

"I tried to get them both away from the conflict, but the enemy caught me off guard."

"Fine. I will drop the accusation, but next time don't try to do anything that would sabotage our efforts!"

Elias clenched my teeth at that remark. He had never expected the director to be so paranoid. 

"And what about Spencer?" He asked, trying to hide his anger towards the director

"We will give him a proper burial for his contribution to protecting humanity."

"Maybe she isn't bad after all." Elias thought to himself. 

...

It had taken about 2 weeks for Elias to return, since he effectively had to deal with carrying a comatose Goredolf and the dead corpse of his friend. 

He was so relived when Mashu and Gudao came there just to accompany and help him, because he felt uncomfortable carrying around people in a such a state that upsetted him. 

Right now, they were burying Spencer in a nearby graveyard in Tengu City. Elias did not feel as moody as he was when Spencer died. Everyone were paying respects, dressed in dark clothing. Elias kneeled down and did a prayer before they left, wishing Spencer luck in the afterlife, just like he did with the opponents he felled.

Elias was actually a bit glad inside when Olga showed more of her humanity, as she actually respected Spencer efforts to preserve the human order. Still she had a long way to go before she truly started to respect people. 

But something was starting itch inside Elias's head. It was like all the grief and sadness he lacked was starting to reach him too. When his servants died, he felt hurt, but not to a certain extent where he would break down and be in a down mood for 2 weeks to a month. 

Both versions of Ritsuka Fujimaru had a hard time dealing with Solomon's death and Mashu's supposed death when both perished, and it had taken them two weeks to recover, while Elias had only taken a few days in comparison. But now he felt a piece of his missing emotion come back. 

Despair. It was the emotion he felt when he was stuck in the void directly after the second defeat of Chaldea. He realized that no matter how much he tried to avoid any feelings, they would always come to him in life. He accepted that fact, and mourned all those he lost. Now he felt the double grief when he saw Spencer get his life taken. By Elias himself.

It was his fault. Then he remembered all of the actions he had done. From literally destroying a world, killing people, never showing his face to Shido before he died, brutalizing the ones that loved him, and Elias's depravity of guilt and atonement. Elias saw Spencer's death as a form of retribution for his actions.

Although what Elias had done and his emotions are not extreme when compared to others, he still felt a heavy burden on him. And that Elias had broken his promise to be a better person in the future. He would have to continue to push. Until now. 

...

As Elias and the others returned from the funeral, he noticed two people in front of the door. 

"I am not comfortable to talk with now. Can you come again a few days later?" 

"We have some concerns... "Diabolus". And all of you people are involved too." One of the people directed their words specifically at 

As Elias looked up, he recognized their faces.

"Kurumi and Ren..." He spoke with an uncertain tone. 

A/N: I had just watched Date A Live episode 11. Interesting take on the monsters and also Mio name drop! Sorry for the delay in uploading chapters, I have sort of a writers block right now, but I hope future chapters will take less time to write!

And thanks for the support for the last 2 months. I am surprised how fast my story got attention.