35: Wanted

The interior of the shop was warm and extremely quiet, apart from the buzzing sound from the fluorescent lights.

Just what time was it? The space was deserted, so Maddy was guessing it was later than she had expected.

An old lady was sitting behind the cash desk, half-asleep. She murmured a drowsy greeting and looked at them through heavy-lidded eyes. Maddy pulled her hood lower and, with her hands buried in her pockets, she went to explore the shop along with the others.

Water, some protein granola bars, a big loaf of bread, some dried meat and lots of unhealthy snacks were things they picked up from the crammed shelves. Maddy stopped by the store freezer to say goodbye to the family pack of vanilla ice cream that she couldn't buy. The boys got a bunch of sharpened knives that sure weren't intended for cutting food. Sia made a pit-stop by the medical shelf on their way back to the till point to get some disinfectant, clean bandages, a thermometer and basic medicines like aspirins, antacids, painkillers, a bunch of injectable anesthetics and antibiotic ointment.

Logan pulled out a few bills from his pocket and payed the old lady, whose hands were shaking as she handed him the change. Then Carter stepped forward and asked politely:

"Could you please tell me the time?"

"Uh? What'd you say, boy?" asked the old woman. Her weak voice sounded like a steaming pot.

"I was wondering if you could tell me what time it is," repeated Carter, louder this time.

"Oh! It's... half past midnight. Quite late for you kids, isn't it? How old are you?" Her old, wrinkled eyes were concerned, but also curious, suspicious.

"Seventeen. Our parents are outside," replied Carter calmly, the lie so smooth on his lips that Maddy almost snorted. "We just went on a family road trip. Perhaps you could recommend a good place for food?"

"Ah, you should eat at Georgie's. Just down the street. The best diner in town."

"Thank you so much for your kindness. Have a good night," greeted her Carter, and they left the store with no further do.

"Since when are you so kind?" sneered Maddy.

"I can be kind." Carter plastered a fake smile on his lips. "Just not to you."

"I don't want your kindness," snapped Maddy at him.

"Then what do you want from me, princess?" mocked Carter.

"Don't call me-"

"Let's just go eat," Mia interfered.

"How much money do we have left?" asked Sia, and Maddy knew she meant that they shouldn't spend the cash so frivolously.

"Enough. Don't worry," replied Logan reassuringly.

They traversed the length of the street, which was lined with more empty stores and restaurants, until they finally reached Georgie's. The diner had the shape of a long caravan, and Maddy found herself reminiscing the first time her brother had once treated her to vanilla ice cream from an ice cream trailer. It had been her favorite flavour ever since. This diner looked like a trailer, too.

But Maddy didn't want to dwell on her childhood memories and the candied emotions of it all. Not when all the sweetness had been drowned in such a bitter ending.

Mia opened the door inside, and the smell of pizza and waffles that instantly hit her nostrils made Maddy feel dizzy. The diner was crowded, unlike the other empty restaurants of the street, but nobody seemed to be paying any attention to them as they entered.

They sat at a small table on the corner and remained silent, waiting for the waiter to come and take their order, all five pairs of eyes fixed on the large TV on the top part of the payment counter. A nauseating mishmash of fear and anticipation occupied the worried cavity of Maddy's chest as she watched the screen.