30: The Train of Survival

Her lungs were burning from her flat-out sprinting, but the train was there, gliding on the steel rails like butter in a pan, its light flashing, its horn blaring, urging her to get closer. She was closer now, and she could see one of the car doors was open in the distance, welcoming her.

Thank God.

Then she saw three silhouettes jumping out of that door, one by one, and landing on the ground, rolling like professionals on the soil with grace.

What the heck?!

She had basically just witnessed three people jumping off a train, like in movies. Who were they?

She didn't take her eyes off the three figures as she kept sprinting. They were two boys and one girl, and, despite the distance, Maddy estimated they were about the same age as her.

And they had guns. They got back up on their feet and ran until they were out of sight, deep into the woods of the opposite side that led to the mountains.

Oh, no. Not the woods. They're done for.

"You guys saw them too, right? Or am I hallucinating?" asked Logan.

"No," panted Sia. "You're not hallucinating."

The five of them spread out in a long line, and they ran horizontally with the train, trying to catch up to the open door. Sia was first, then Mia, Logan, Carter, and finally Maddy, last on the row.

It wasn't that she was slow; quite the opposite, actually. She was as fast as a racing car ever since she was a little girl, but her backpack was damn heavy, and her feet still hadn't fully recovered from their wounds, so they were slowing her down. Sia leaped forward and disappeared in the train carriage. Mia hopped in right after, Logan following up close.

A shriek ripped through Maddy's ears from somewhere behind her, and it didn't sound human at al. It sounded like an animal shrieking in pure agony. She had to resist the urge to cover her ears with her hands.

Carter threw his backpack first and then himself into the train car, diving in like a professional swimmer, leaving Maddy alone, out in the open. She was the last one.

It's my turn now.

Maddy hurled her heavy backpack to the others in the carriage, but its weight was hard to lift and the motion made her lose ground. Another shriek reached her from close behind. She pushed forward. It was now or never. Throwing herself sideways, her shoulder slammed into the car and she grabbed the opening of the doorway, using it as a handle. Her fingers were slippery from the cold sweat that washed over her, and her arms were shaking.

She couldn't do it. She let out a grunt.

But then Carter reached out and took hold of her wrist, his grip digging hard into her flesh, straining to prevent both of their weights from flying out of the train and into the air.

For a short second, she had the absurd thought that he might actually let go.

But then his long fingers tightened around her wrist and pulled her into the wagon, his muscles flexing, his veins popping. She put a hand on the wagon floor to yank herself inwards, using every last bit of her strength. She landed on top of him, her body pressing against his, head on his chest, legs awkwardly tangled with his. She lay there for a few seconds, her ear right where his heart should be, listening to his frenzied heartbeat as she took in the fact they were all still alive and whole and unharmed.

Not a scratch. If you know what I mean.

She rolled on her side and pushed herself up on a sitting position, her back against some wooden barrel.

The wagon left the bridge in the last second, leaving their screaming pursuers stranded and out of reach.

She saw the infected stop next to the tracks as the five of them sailed away. She took a deep, shaky breath. Her eyes travelled to every face on the wagon, each equally out of breath.

"They're gone," whispered Logan in Mia's ear, stroking her bowed head. The girl was clutching him like a lifeline, like his touch made her feel safe, her face buried in his chest. Sia put her head in her hands, rubbing her eye sockets with her palms, silent. Carter was clutching his left biceps, breathless.

Where would that train take them? Maddy bit her lower lip, considering the possible destinations. Would they get infected one day too? What would they do now, without the Ford? Would they die? Would they survive?

You're a little warrior, Mads. Always remember that, her brother had once told her, pointing at the center of her chest.

Maddy exhaled, allowing her stiff muscles to relax a little, but not too much. She would always keep alert from now on, always stay on guard. She ran her fingers through her hair, drawing it away from her face, and closed her eyes.

It wasn't a good idea. The image of that man impaled on a tree branch popped in her head right away.

She wouldn't sleep that night either, would she?