Chapter 46: The Shadow

Start from the beginning

TAKE THE ELF AND TAKE THE PATH UPWARDS. THERE LIES THE SECRET TO UNLOCKING GILADA'S POWER

Time returned, and Ayaka bumped into you as you stood still. "That...wasn't Sheogorath..." you muttered.

"Hmm? did you say something?" asked Ayaka. 

"Oi, you two, come on!" said Grimgor from the front. Ayaka looked back and gave a concerned look your way before hurrying up to the front of the group. You stood still, your muscles frozen. 

I SAID MOVE CHILD! MOVE ONTO THE PATH AHEAD

That was Sheogorath's voice. You took in a sharp breath and wandered towards the group, vying for the attention of the elf. 

The shadow cried out in pain as Raphtalia flashed light a ball of light magic into its eyes. Its smokey skin seemed to burn from its holy radiance. Rraphtalia snatched her mud-caked sword and picked herself up. Her wounds stung - no, burned like fire venom. Her arms were heavy and her legs were weak. She felt as though she could buckle beneath her own weight at any moment. But still she kept fighting. Otherwise, who knows how many children could end up like her? Her range sprang her into action once more. She yelled like a wild beast as her sword shrieked from its duel. She snapped her head to the side, dodging a lethal blow, and summoned a ball of light into her palm. She shone it into the shade's twilight face, causing him to sizzle and scream one again. Her sword tasted blood as it carved through the shade's dark robes. A dark silhouette could be made out. She stepped to the shade's side and sliced its left arm cleanly off. It wailed in pain and retreated a few steps back, but Raphtalia kept up the pressure. The creature was not granted a single moment to breathe as he countered strike after strike. His hand, his arm, his legs, and his stomach were all slashed at. Blood oozed out of the shadow like a waterfall, coursing down the sloping roads of Unten. 

The dwarves scattered through the bi-plane hanger, searching for ways to bring back power to the area. You stood in awe. You had seen full towns smaller than this place. Dozens, if not hundreds of planes could be kept here. You looked down at Grimgor, who wore a proud, smug smile. 

"Why did you leave all this behind? So many useful weapons and planes. Air superiority is vital, you know," you lectured. Grimgor scoffed and shook his head.

"Do you think we don't know that? Most of these planes are scrap. Experimental death traps. Too costly to manage, and too dangerous to secure a good path between here and the rest of Unten. But hey, if all goes well, we might just change our tune." Grimgor breathed in a huge sigh. "I can't believe this is all real...I hope my wife's ok. She didn't want me to leave. I kissed her thinkin'...this was it. The last one."

"Same goes for me," you said. "Gave her one last kiss on her lips and left." 

"...yeah" muttered Ayaka, shielding her eyes away from the others. A sputtering sound was heard, which shot your head forward. A brief flash of light filled the room, but then darkness smothered it again. Then, a few more flashes, and then a flood of bright, luminescent light lit up the hanger. Cheers rang out and echoed through the jagged stone walls. Grimgor couldn't believe it. He was finally back here. He never thought he'd pilot one of these death traps again. 

Ayaka turned to face the two of you. "Is there anything here that an elf can help with?" 

Grimgor rubbed his chin, a thoughtful tone on his face. "If I'm being honest? No. I wouldn't want to bother you with a few meaningless tasks. Just get back safe, ya hear? And maybe send a couple more men our way." Ayaka nodded and took a step backwards. She hesitated and turned back around to face Grimgor. 

"Grimgor...make it back safely. For Magath, at least." 

The grizzled dwarf just stared at her, his mouth slightly agape. He cleared his rough throat and nodded slightly. Ayaka quickly began her march back, not noticing Grimgor rub his tear-stained eyes. As she left the hanger and entered the caverns, you called out to her. 

YOU NEED HER

"Ayaka!" you yelled. She spun around to meet you as you caught your breath.

"Yes?" 

YOU WILL DIE WITHOUT HER 

"I...I need your help," you said panting. She raised a puzzled eyebrow at you. 

"My help? With what? We've already gotten the dwarves to the hanger." 

"It's not that," you say, shaking your head. "Do you remember when I said a personal matter brought me to this mountain? Well, I believe it is through that path there." You shoved an accusing finger towards the ascending stairway that led to a pitch-black void above. 

YOUR LOVE WILL DIE. YOU BOTH WILL DIE. COLD AND ALONE,  FOR ETERNITY

"And you need my help for this?" she asked with a suspicious, slightly demeaning tone. 

"Yes. I'll admit, I've seen far better days. Normally I wouldn't ask to put another person's life in danger. But...whatever's up there..."

STOP THE WAVES...

Your eyes widened slightly. "Whatever's up there may be the key to stopping the waves." Ayaka's sharp ears jolted at that last part. 

"Stop the waves? Are you serious?" Ayaka said.

"I am. I can't really tell you why or how I know these things. But please," you snatched Ayaka's shoulders into your hands and dropped to your knees. 

BEG HER FOR IT. SAY YOU'LL GIVE HER ANYTHING. YOUR MIND, YOUR BODY, YOUR TREASURES. ADMIT YOUR WEAKNESS BOY

"I'm not strong enough to go on alone! I don't...I want to go back to her...I can't risk it...please, I'll do anything, give you anything, but please don't let me trek into that darkness alone!" Ayaka took a few hasty steps backwards. Your arms slumped to the floor defeated. You sniffed and whimpered like a beaten dog. Pity filled Ayaka's heart. Was this worth it? Putting her life on the line for a near-total stranger? She'd seen this ruse before, and she didn't have time for ruses. She wanted to stay by Magath's side until he woke up, or he passed on. But...for whatever reason, her heart tugged at the snivelling boy in front of her. His words were genuine. His dreams and desires were like hers in a way. Simple and pure. She breathed a calming sigh and patted your head. 

GOOD. SHE ACCEPTS HER FATE LIKE A GOOD LITTLE MORTAL

"You gonna keep crying, or are we going to get moving?" she said softly. You picked your head up to see an unusually warm smile on her face. 

"You-you'll come with me? Really?" you asked with a stammer. 

Ayaka's smile grew slightly wider and nodded. "Yeah. I've spent too many hours in that bar trying to cruise along with the easy life. Just this once, at least, I'd like to try helping people again."

You grew an uncontrollable smile and snatched her into a hug. A shocked gasp blurted out from her, and Ayaka awkwardly patted your back. "Oops, sorry!" you bowed a little in apology and wiped your eyes. "Shall we get going then?" 

Ayaka nodded. "No better time than the present." The two of you began to ascend the blind stairway. From beyond the mortal realm of existence, from beyond the confines of a 3D prison, a figure watched with a grin on its face. Soon, they will return to this world once more.