Grumbling a low curse to myself, I hopped off the bed and strode over, gripping the handle with less respect than I should be handling pure gold with. I couldn't help it. For me, my actions were an outlet for my emotions, and to be frank, I couldn't care less about a golden handle that belonged to the Northern Court. With great force, I ripped it open.

A slightly-started Raina stood in the light of the hallway, her green eyes wide as they regarded me. I took a few moments to breathe, to collect myself as the anger slowly dwindled away. Focus. Focus. I directed my attention to her golden hair, noting the way the sun danced along its tight ringlets.  

"What is it, Raina?" I asked, not bothering to sound pleasant. Though I'd cooperated with her to save Kyra, it didn't mean we were friends, or that I had to be friendly. 

The girl grimaced. She seemed to hesitate before asking, "May I come in?"

I blinked. Any other time, I may have told her to run along and leave me alone. But I was far too caught up in my emotions to think straight, so instead, I stepped aside, opening the door wide in silent invitation. She didn't bother to hide the faint surprise on her features. Honestly, I was surprised, too. 

"What is it?" I repeated as she entered, her white day dress billowing as she twirled to take in the room. After a few moments of staring, she focused on me. Her eyes shuttered, and her face tightened as though she were debating something. I folded my arms. "If you're just going to waste my time, Raina, then by all means, leave. I have sleep to catch up on."

"No, that's not why I'm here," she stammered, casting her gaze to the ground. I couldn't help but admire the way the sunlight glinted off her porcelain skin, the way her emerald eyes scanned the floor. Beautiful, really. Beautiful but weak. 

As though to prove my thought, she looked at me beneath lowered brows, her eyes sad and lost as she asked, "What will we do now, Azure?"

I scowled. I wanted to give her a sure-fire answer, something cold and snappy that would maybe make her leave me alone. But I didn't have that answer -- a fact that disturbed me more than I cared to admit.

So, I shrugged. "I don't know, Raina, but it is not a case of what 'we' do. What I do is completely unrelated to what you choose to do with your time here. And this is not about us, this is about Kyra."

Raina winced at my response, but I didn't care. I tell it how it is, regardless of feelings. If Raina couldn't handle that, then perhaps she shouldn't speak to me. 

"I didn't mean that," she said quietly, picking at a non-existent lint on her dress. For whatever reason, her response bloomed an ache in my chest. In all honesty, I would have rather her berated me for speaking so rudely, or even yell. 

Desperate to escape the feeling, I narrowed my eyes and asked, "Why are you really here, girl?"

Silted silence ensued. One breath. Two breaths. I was sure she wasn't going to respond until she blurted, "Azure, I really want to learn how to fight. This situation is getting serious now and... and I can't afford to be unskilled any longer." Her gaze locked with mine, perhaps the greatest display of courage I'd seen from her thus far as she finished, "I want you to train me in fighting."

I blinked. "No."

I didn't even have to consider it. 

Raina's courageous front shattered in an instant. "Why?" 

"Because, Raina, some people just aren't built for fighting. You're one of those people."

She winced, as though I'd physically clawed her across the cheek. Even so, something in her eyes sparkled as she insisted, "I know that, but I can learn. I'm willing to learn, Azure, and that's what counts. I just..." A long pause. "I just don't want to be useless again!"

I scowled. I knew what she was referring to. Back at the Southern Court, at the fight that had taken place just two days ago, though it felt like a lifetime had passed. Two wolves towering against us, against the world, as we bought Kyra time to run for it. Of course, Raina hadn't been much of a defence, and the Gamma had slipped past her guard with ease. That alone had almost cost Kyra her life.

I stared at Raina, at the green eyes that sparkled a tad too brightly, at her pink cheeks and pretty face. Part of me was glad it had happened. I knew that, had that Gamma not slipped past so easily, he would have had Raina dead in seconds. The thought sickened me to my stomach. To lose another person...

"No," I said again, my voice like a rock, possessing a finality that no one could hope to move. 

Rained puffed out her chest as though to say something else. Before she could, or maybe as a ways to stop herself from saying something stupid, she turned on her heel and stormed for the door, swiping something from under her eye. She forced the door open and slammed it hard behind her, the strength of which she did surprising me. Any other day, I may have followed her out the door and yelled at her for being so stroppy.

But I was tired. Far too tired. 

I didn't know I'd fallen asleep until a curt knock came at my door, the smell of dinner leaking through the cracks.