I stared at her, demanding her attention with my gaze, and slowly, painfully, her cerulean eyes met mine. My lips a thin line, I gave her a slight incline of my head -- a gesture to show that I was okay with this. That she wouldn't have to fight tooth and nail for me, not on this one. I read the question in her eyes, loud and clear as though she'd said it aloud: are you sure?

Yes, I thought back. It seemed she read the words on my face, for she removed her gaze from mine and placed it instead on the marble tiles below. A few more moments of silence ticked by, and it seemed that alone was enough for Darla to deduce an answer, for she gently grabbed my elbow and muttered, "Let us go then, Kyra love."

I blinked. I hadn't even considered how she knew my name. 

Before I could ask, her hand was on the nearest door and she was pulling me in, all the while maintaining the grace of a swan. I followed, still aware of the train of her gown, as I stepped inside the room. The door silently clicked shut.

I blinked. Much to my surprise, the room was not gold and white. Various colours of purple jumped out at me -- rich indigo duvets, tucked tightly into a golden four-poster bed; the velvet glow of a mauve armchair, lined just before the window so the sun could glint off its rich edges; the violet accents littered about the pictures strung up on the walls and the various trinkets sitting on dark oak side tables. I walked forward without even meaning to, my feet slapping against the grey marble tiles, a contrast to the light purple wallpaper littered with faint floral patterns, their edges worn from years of love. 

Luna Darla, reading the shock that was written all over my face, chuckled. "I'm relieved you adore it. I selected it just for you."

Slowly, I turned to her, turning her words over in my head. "You... anticipated my arrival?"

She nodded. A petite, fluid motion. "Yes. When the Delta hatched a plan to rescue you, I knew he wouldn't fail -- he rarely does. My husband wasn't so on-board at first, but I convinced him. In the meantime, I had some preparations done for you." She gave a pointed glance towards the door. "Though I didn't anticipate the arrival of your friends, I'm sure they will enjoy their rooms all the same."

I shook my head, the words not quite registering with my brain. "Why?" was all I could manage. I looked at her beneath lowered brows, searching those ice-blue eyes, looking for any malice. For any ill-intent behind that petite smile. Nothing. I shook my head again. 

"Why what, dear?" She asked with the tilt of her head. 

"Why do all this," I gestured elaborately about the room, "for me? Wouldn't it benefit you more just to... to lock me up and make an Upsilon army too, one to combat his? Wouldn't that be easier?"

I knew I should be keeping my mouth shut. I knew I should be thanking my lucky stars for their hospitality, but I just... couldn't. So far, this was only pointing to one thing -- mercy. There was no way mercy existed in a world like this, in a world full of beasts all hungry for power. 

But Luna Darla's sad smile told me otherwise. "Because, dear, though you may think it is the most effective way for us, is it disgustingly unethical." Despite her soft voice, I could hear the iron in her tone, an anger directed not at me, but something else. Someone else. "And not just that," the Luna continued, "but, unlike Alpha South, we have morals."

I noticed how she didn't say Alpha North has morals, but I didn't press her on the fact. Instead, I nodded, swallowing the hard lump that had formed in my throat. Anyone else in my situation would have wept, would have thanked her over and over for her mercy. But I didn't, and I don't know why. I should have, but I just... couldn't. 

The Luna gave me another sad smile, as though reading my thoughts. Still, she said nothing of it. I mean, what kind of gracious leader would demand gratitude? 

Just another reason she made a better Luna than I ever could. 

Clearing her throat, the Luna swept her hands through the air as she said, "That being said, make yourself at home dear. You do not have to attend the dinner tonight. In fact, I can send food up to your room, if that is preferred."

I gave her a stiff nod, "That would be great, thank you."

Her eyes brightened at my reply, but I noticed her smile faulter as a silence settled between us again. It set me on alert. What was she waiting for?

"After breakfast tomorrow, Kyra love, you will be required to do an interview." She grimaced as she said it. I blinked.

"Interview?"

She cringed again. "An... interrogation, of sorts. But please do not fret! They will not be prodding questions. We just need a little recount of... recent events, so we know where we stand."

My stomach clenched. A recounting of recent events. It seemed she read the reluctance on my face, for she added, "But please, Kyra, do not worry of that. For now, wind down and get some rest. I wager you need it."

My eyes flicked to hers, the apology written on her face telling me this 'interrogation' had been anything but her idea. Probably that prick-head Alpha's. 

I sighed. There was no point taking it out on a woman who had been nothing but gracious to me. So, swallowing my discontent, I nodded and threw her the best smile I could muster. 

"Noted," was all I said, turning to sit on my bed. Exhaustion weighed me down, and I was almost sure any more talking would lead me to passing out. Just as Darla made her way to the door, she stilled, turning to me. 

"Also, Kyra dear, I must tell you one thing before I leave." Her face tightened, and I found myself leaning forward to hear her next words. "The Delta... he never knocks."

I blinked, trying to discern what her obscure message could mean. But before I could ask her more, she was fluttering out the door and shutting it behind her, leaving me, for the first time in a while, entirely alone with only my thoughts.